Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy Bluetooth or Xbee + Wireless camera remote control — Parallax Forums

Easy Bluetooth or Xbee + Wireless camera remote control

robot64xrobot64x Posts: 6
edited 2013-03-28 07:32 in Accessories
Hi,

I have a BoeBot using USB port conection (Stamp Board Rev D). I';s okay, but this mode is limited in terms of mobility for my Boe-Bot. (very boring-). I bought this in early 2011.

I wish to change the communication to wireless mode of control between my Laptop and Boe Bot.

I hope an expert recommendation regarding the accessories needed.

I want to know besides Easy Bluetooth Module, is XBee 802.15.4 Modules or ZB also functioning the same way?

If yes :

1. What's the difference between both, for example, maximum distance between PC - BoeBot, strength of signals etc.

Also in my mind is to control my BoeBot, let's say my laptop is located upstairs in my home, and the Boe-Bot is downstairs in my kitchen. At my laptop, on the screen, I can see my kitchen through a camera attached to my BoeBot, while controlling by the programming itself or through joystick or keyboard. (ha...ha...I dream as if controlling my BoeBot as what NASA people control the Curiosity on Mars).:smile:

I hope if Parallax expert can recommend full details of the products (part no, price) as per my wish :

1. Easy Bluetooth or Xbee (the benefits pro and con)
2. Wireless Camera
3. Regarding software control with wireless camera, can Basic Stamp do it? or any other software with video images? or can Microsoft Robotics Studio control BoeBot with wireless camera?

Your recommendation is highly appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-28 20:30
    Bluetooth is not a good idea. It was designed specifically for a replacement for the cables connecting peripheral devices to a PC. As such, it has limited range, typically maybe 30 to 50 feet under good conditions. The low power xBee modules (1mW) have similar range, around 100 feet.. The high power xBee Pro modules have a range more like 200 to 300 feet. You can get better range outdoors with the xBee Pro modules if you add a good external antenna.

There are a lot of wireless cameras on the market with widely varying range. You'll have to survey the market to get a good idea of what's possible. Keep in mind that Bluetooth, xBee, or even WiFi will interfere with the most common band now for wireless video, 2.4GHz.

I can't advise you regarding software control of a wireless camera. What kind of control? What kind of camera? You can have a tilt / pan bracket controlled by the same Stamp as the rest of the BoeBot, but what sort of camera control are you thinking of? Most cameras work automatically other than aiming them and turning them on and off.
  • robot64xrobot64x Posts: 6
    edited 2013-02-28 22:15
    Sorry if my concept of wireless camera might be confusing. Now I understand your explanation.

The following YouTube is what is in my mind.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1YR_gBFkM

Thanks a lot Mike for your info and suggestions.
    edited 2013-03-01 06:38
    As mentioned in the YouTube video, the camera and tilt / pan bracket with the servos should be available on SparkFun's website. The BoeBot shows tank treads, a gripper, and PING with its own servo bracket. Whether you need those or not depends on what you want to do with your BoeBot. They're not needed for a straightforward remote controlled camera platform. For that matter, you don't absolutely need to have a tilt / pan bracket since the BoeBot itself can pan and a wide-angle camera may not need a tilt bracket for most use.

You probably will want the FlashFly adapters so you can both program the Stamp wirelessly and communicate with it using the DEBUG and DEBUGIN statements from your PC. These use the Series 1 xBee modules like this or this. Make sure you download this tutorial.
    edited 2013-03-02 01:12
    Thanks for your recommendation.

Yes, your're right. The items as mentioned in your first paragraph is not necessary at the moment.

The items in the second paragraph is what I really want to do all this while (I will consider to order the products including camera). PBasic is more than good enough for doing programming wirelessly using FlashFly adapters and Xbee.

I have seen the Pbasic code for controlling of Boe Bot using the Keyboard in real-time, somewhere in the forum. It works fine.

Maybe in the future I will try using Visual programming language to create simple few button control including live video images, maybe Visual Basic, Microsoft Robotics Studio.

Mike, I just want to know how many xBee should I buy? Is it like the image below or just connect the Xbee plugged on FlashFly adapter onto the BoeBot breadboard and none on the Laptop side? Technically, I'm still blur about the setup. Maybe Mike can give me simple drawing or diagram setup. Thanks in advance.
    28183c-L.jpg
    edited 2013-03-02 07:43
    Please read the tutorial I mentioned in my last posting at the end. It will help you to understand how to hook up the xBees and how to use them. You need one xBee at the Stamp end and one at the PC end of the connection just like the picture you posted. If you're planning on using the FlashFly system, please read the documentation for it. Parallax normally has links to documentation and sample code on the webstore page for their products.
    edited 2013-03-02 09:58
    Thanks again Mike and highly appreciated.
  • harpreetsinghharpreetsingh Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-08 00:19
    Thanks from my side too, its really good to get this info....

Regards.....
  • jdebayjdebay Posts: 1
    edited 2013-03-28 07:32
    Thanks for asking the question and the answers, just what I wanted to know.