Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Video without WIFI signal — Parallax Forums

Wireless Video without WIFI signal

dcgartindcgartin Posts: 6
edited 2013-03-08 00:01 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hey guys,

I am building a robot for my senior project, and I would like to have a wireless video camera mounted on the robot so the operator won't have to actually see the robot's path. He/she can just look through the camera. I am using Xbee for the wireless communication from the robot to my Mac. I've heard the Xbee is too slow to produce video. Is there any other way I can produce live video without a WIFI connection?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-25 19:54
    There are a variety of different video transmitters. Many transmit a signal from a NTSC camera. There are a few options mentioned in this thread. I think they are commonly referred to as "video links".

I've read that lower freqency transmitters have greater range than higher frequency transmitters (at the same power level). I've used a 900MHz link myself.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2013-02-26 10:49
    From, the product Home page ........................ 600 mW is Quite a Hot transmitter .....
    Notice: The use and operation of this product in the USA and many other countries requires an amateur/ham radio license,

I would look for a part 15 Legal one in this case ....

Peter
  • dcgartindcgartin Posts: 6
    edited 2013-02-26 21:35
    Duane,

So this is what I have ordered tonight. I got a back up camera for a car that has female plugs, a transmitter and receiver duo which contain male to male cords, and a video to usb cord to hook up to my computer. I have the battery to supply the power, and I will make a mounting plate for the camera on the robot.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-02-26 21:42
    dcgartin,

Did you see Peter's post? You do need a ham license to operate that transmitter. Do you have one?

-Phil
    edited 2013-02-26 21:49
    dcgartin,

Did you see Peter's post? You do need a ham license to operate that transmitter. Do you have one?

-Phil

I thought there were some frequencies that don't require a license?
    edited 2013-02-26 22:03
    Duane Degn wrote:
    I thought there were some frequencies that don't require a lice
    'Depends on the power output. I'm just going by the boilerplate on the product page; but, as Peter points out, 600mW is a pretty hot transmitter. If someone trying to sell you something says it needs a license, then it most assuredly needs a license.

-Phil
    edited 2013-02-27 07:50
    I only brought up the Legal issues for 2 reasons ...

A most dont care or know and are putting them selves at legal risk . not to mention the forum is at slight risk too .
    B I took my ham test , any EE 101 student can pass it . My mom bless her heart she cant tell a diode from a resistor passed it .
    soo there is no excuse .

With Great ( ERP) Power comes Great responsibility /.
    It may seen like it sucks to be playing with any kind of RF with so many rules ., but part of being a good tech or EE is to follow regulations ...
    We both want to further Our hobby/ profession right ?
    Then We need to start by doing our best to follow the Rules that other EEs ect have laid out for us ..

dcgartin

If you want I have no problem teaching some ham basics to you ,,,,, Iam elmering another student right this week . ,and trust me its not that hard ,,, and once you have your call you can so all kinds of Really cool stuff the normal public only Dreams of doing .

Peter ....
    edited 2013-02-27 09:15
    I don't think dcgartion made it clear which transmitter is being purchased. If it is the same as the one Nick linked to, then yes, he needs a license. But I think there are transmitters available that don't require a license.

BTW, I forget how I found it (maybe from a forum post or maybe when I was doing research about getting my own license) but the FCC keeps a list of stores and people they've taken action against. I learned from this list that Hobby-Lobby (the one that sells RC stuff not the craft supply store) got in trouble for selling a video link that was too powerful. I also learned from the list, it's not a good idea to sell cell phone jammers to undercover FCC agents. They even had cases of going after overseas companies for selling (to US customers) transmitters not legal to use in the US.
    edited 2013-02-28 08:23
    I only brought up the Legal issues for 2 reasons ...

A most dont care or know and are putting them selves at legal risk . not to mention the forum is at slight risk too .
    B I took my ham test , any EE 101 student can pass it . My mom bless her heart she cant tell a diode from a resistor passed it .
    soo there is no excuse .

With Great ( ERP) Power comes Great responsibility /.
    It may seen like it sucks to be playing with any kind of RF with so many rules ., but part of being a good tech or EE is to follow regulations ...
    We both want to further Our hobby/ profession right ?
    Then We need to start by doing our best to follow the Rules that other EEs ect have laid out for us ..

dcgartin

If you want I have no problem teaching some ham basics to you ,,,,, Iam elmering another student right this week . ,and trust me its not that hard ,,, and once you have your call you can so all kinds of Really cool stuff the normal public only Dreams of doing .

Peter ....

Peter, here is the transmitter i have chosen.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Extension/dp/B005N6ICXS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362068527&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+transmitter

I'm unfamiliar with the ham license. What will it take for me to get one?
    edited 2013-02-28 09:52
    That one does not require a license.

-Phil
    edited 2013-02-28 10:40
    thanks, phil

as soon as i get it set up i'll try to post some feedback and pics on how it's doing.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-28 18:45
    So where can I take that HAM test? IMO, Licenses for this kind of stuff are just a way to be governed more!!!! But, if that is what it takes then I suppose I should get one.

I was in the Signal Corp. In the Military so I think I should be able to pass!!!! Why I even know what UHF and VHF mean and the differences!!!!
    edited 2013-03-02 22:24
    Just look for ANY ham radio club .they will know .

Considering with a Ham license you can cook the air with more then a kW of power. I don't think the terms of a ham call is un-reasonable ...

getting a ham call is like taking a DMV test and being able to rent a tank and Drive it .

dcgartin:

If you can pick a band to use a wireless part 15 ( License Free) system on . you may wan to opt for 1.2 GHz or 5,8 as 2.4 is filled with WiFi Noise and older cordless phones ......
  • harpreetsinghharpreetsingh Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-08 00:01
    oh Realy thanks

Peter KG6LSE
    -for sharing this, i am tried....