Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NEWBIE Needs Your Opinion On An Upgrade — Parallax Forums

NEWBIE Needs Your Opinion On An Upgrade

Frank FernandezFrank Fernandez Posts: 12
edited 2013-02-25 12:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All, Thanks for all your help so far. I have been using a a Board of Education kit to begin my learning process. Now that I'm a little more comfortable is it time to step up to the Parallax Professional Development Board.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampDevelopmentBoards/tabid/137/CategoryID/12/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/123/Default.aspx

I'd prefer to buy the full kit with documentation.

Please give me your opinions.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-25 07:57
    It all depends on what you want it for. The StampWorks kit is great for learning about motors and sensors and interacting with the Stamp. It comes with pretty much all you need including paper versions of the manuals. On the other hand, if you want to save a little money and have a well equipped "junkbox", you can download the manuals, pick up a few items by themselves (the motors mostly), and do the same stuff with just the Development Board or even a largish breadboard and your BOE kit. Either way is reasonable and the full kit is convenient.
  • Frank FernandezFrank Fernandez Posts: 12
    edited 2013-02-25 09:32
    Thank you Mike, I like the idea of the full kit this way I'm not chasing mystery problems if my parts bin has issues. Also i like the idea of having so many built in options. My main goal here is to become proficient in automation. Not t say that all the fun stuff isnt part of the mix though.

Thank you again.

BTW - maybe you can help me out with something for later on down the road. My 1st product line will need require end user interaction. Very basic data entry that the firmware will resolve for the final operational functions. Is there a GUI designed for Parallax products ?
    edited 2013-02-25 10:09
    User interaction ...
    That all depends on what you want to do. There are lots of coding examples for the use of multiple pushbuttons or keypads with a Stamp. There are all sorts of LCDs available for display that have built-in controllers that talk to the Stamp with a serial connection (SERIN and SEROUT) and some also provide for scanning a 4x4 keypad automatically (like the TRM425L from Seetron.com). There are touchscreens (like the 4D Systems one that Parallax sells) that talk via serial I/O. The Propeller Backpack provides for TV text output and, with a little extra wiring and coding changes, can handle a PS/2 keyboard too.
  • Frank FernandezFrank Fernandez Posts: 12
    edited 2013-02-25 10:22
    Actually what I meant was a GUI for a PC interface. The end user will need to input specific parameters for the desired final output. This in most cases would be simply a one time issue unless they make additional mechanical changes later. I don't feel the need to over complicate or extend the price of the final product with hard wired visual/input interfaces.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2013-02-25 11:26
    If you want a GUI on a PC for your end product you should create that with a function to send serial data to the stamp where it will be acted on. The makeup of the GUI will depend on your end product and will not affect the way you communicate with the stamp (serial data).
    edited 2013-02-25 12:58
    Look at StampPlot Pro or the newer version, MakerPlot. Both let you create GUIs on the PC that you can control from the Stamp. The former is free for personal use.