Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Editor cannot locate Boe-Bot device (I'm using USB-Serial Adapter) — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Editor cannot locate Boe-Bot device (I'm using USB-Serial Adapter)

MrincognitoMrincognito Posts: 9
edited 2013-02-24 19:50 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using this adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PIU2KO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I downloaded and installed the driver for the adapter from here:
http://www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Accessories/USBDrivers/tabid/530/Default.aspx

My Boe-Bot has a BS2 microcontroller. I tried uploading a basic program from the tutorial book but it seems the editor can't locate the BS2 through the COM cable. I'm using a laptop with no serial port so there are no other serial cables attached.

I checked with device manager and saw that my USB-Serial cable is of type "COM & LPT". I'm not sure what this means. Am I using the right cable?

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2013-02-24 04:57
    Hi and welcome to the Forums.

Theres a lot of variation in the success folks have with USB/serial converters. Some just won't work for programming.

Most with the FTDI chipset seem to work. Hopefully, someone whose tried your converter will jump in.

In any event, the converter should show up in device manager as a COM port. The COM port number has to be set in the Stamp programming environment to match the port number.

Also, the driver you downloaded from parallax may not be compatible with the one you have. Have you checked the converter manufacturer website for the driver?

Cheers,
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-02-24 07:07
    Which OS?

Per Tom, ftdi adapters are the gold standard. My trusty Aten adapter worked great on xp & vista, but not win8. Only my Parallax ftdi works on Win8.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-02-24 08:29
    As per stamptrol -- the adapter you linked to is an FTDI chipset adapter, so the FTDI drivers should work. The driver you downloaded from Parallax may or may not be the correct driver for your adapter/OS. I would try to downloading and installing the correct driver directly from FTDI and see if you have better results.

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
  • MrincognitoMrincognito Posts: 9
    edited 2013-02-24 08:46
    stamptrol wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to the Forums.

Theres a lot of variation in the success folks have with USB/serial converters. Some just won't work for programming.

Most with the FTDI chipset seem to work. Hopefully, someone whose tried your converter will jump in.

In any event, the converter should show up in device manager as a COM port. The COM port number has to be set in the Stamp programming environment to match the port number.

Also, the driver you downloaded from parallax may not be compatible with the one you have. Have you checked the converter manufacturer website for the driver?

Cheers,

Thanks!

While I look for a solution, is there an adapter that is known to work with Windows 7 OS?
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-02-24 09:48
    Your adapter appears to use the FTDI chipset, so it *should* work fine w/ Windows 7 if you have the right driver installed.
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2013-02-24 14:29
    I have always found that my BS2 & BS2P never had a problem connecting through a USB to Serial adapter, Prolific or FTDI. I believe that Win 7 will load the proper driver when the adapter is detected. I have found that sometimes, depending on which USB port you are using the COM port assignment is usually something other than COM 1,2,3, or 4.
    I pulled out an old Prolific unit from my spares box, plugged it into my Win 7 machine and watched it load the proper driver. I went into Device Manager and found the new entry under "Ports (COM & LPT)", Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5). I then plugged the adapter into my BS2P test bed and clicked the Identify Icon and received a listing of three Comm ports with the BS2P on Com5: I downloaded a program to the BS2P and it executed just fine, Spinning a stepper motor I'm playing with.
    Perhapes you should remove the driver you loaded and allow Win 7 to load the proper driver.

Hal

PS
    Under the older versions of the Basic Stamp Editor you had to set which Comm port to connect to, but under the latest one that is no longer the case, just click on IDENTIFY and it will scan all available comm ports and locate your Stamp.
    edited 2013-02-24 16:05
    Hal Albach wrote: »
    I have always found that my BS2 & BS2P never had a problem connecting through a USB to Serial adapter, Prolific or FTDI. I believe that Win 7 will load the proper driver when the adapter is detected. I have found that sometimes, depending on which USB port you are using the COM port assignment is usually something other than COM 1,2,3, or 4.
    I pulled out an old Prolific unit from my spares box, plugged it into my Win 7 machine and watched it load the proper driver. I went into Device Manager and found the new entry under "Ports (COM & LPT)", Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5). I then plugged the adapter into my BS2P test bed and clicked the Identify Icon and received a listing of three Comm ports with the BS2P on Com5: I downloaded a program to the BS2P and it executed just fine, Spinning a stepper motor I'm playing with.
    Perhapes you should remove the driver you loaded and allow Win 7 to load the proper driver.

Hal

PS
    Under the older versions of the Basic Stamp Editor you had to set which Comm port to connect to, but under the latest one that is no longer the case, just click on IDENTIFY and it will scan all available comm ports and locate your Stamp.

I let windows install the driver automatically the first time and it installed without a problem. Windows recognized the adapter. I turned Boe-bot on, made the serial connection from Boe-bot to the USB port on my laptop with the adapter, and opened BSE v2.5.3. I clicked identify and although the program acknowledged the port connection, it didn't recognize the device as a BS2.
    1024 x 576 - 62K
    TS.jpg 61.5K
    edited 2013-02-24 16:47
    Please do not be offended, but is it possible that the BS2 is not inserted correctly or unpowered? On the BS2 is a chip larger than all other components, and that should be near the edge of the BOE-Bot board. The other end of the BS2 with the tiny parts should be toward the middle of the board. Also check for bent or broken pins. Also make sure the BS2 has proper voltage at the power pins. Verify the green power LED glows brightly.
    Again, I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that sometimes we get ahead of ourselves to see something new working.

Hal
    edited 2013-02-24 17:20
    Hal Albach wrote: »
    Please do not be offended, but is it possible that the BS2 is not inserted correctly or unpowered? On the BS2 is a chip larger than all other components, and that should be near the edge of the BOE-Bot board. The other end of the BS2 with the tiny parts should be toward the middle of the board. Also check for bent or broken pins. Also make sure the BS2 has proper voltage at the power pins. Verify the green power LED glows brightly.
    Again, I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that sometimes we get ahead of ourselves to see something new working.

Hal

I'm not offended at all :lol:

I've uploaded a program to BS2 before (via home desktop PC) and it is still running whenever I toggle the power switch to demo/execute mode (2). Doesn't this show that the BS2 is properly connected? (I will check again ofc.)
    edited 2013-02-24 19:02
    Did you download the program using this USB-Serial adaptor to the BS2 on the BOE-BOT?
    edited 2013-02-24 19:16
    No, serial - serial
    edited 2013-02-24 19:50
    I would suggest trying to use the USB-Serial adaptor with your desktop and see if the BS2 can be detected.

Hal