Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
W5200 ethernet performance with QuickStart — Parallax Forums

W5200 ethernet performance with QuickStart

manitoumanitou Posts: 29
edited 2013-02-24 11:35 in Accessories
FYI, here is a thread discussing W5200 performance with comparisons to other MCUs (UNO, DUE, maple, teensy, beagle, raspberry)

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/146171-W5200-ethernet-performance-with-QuickStart

Comments

• twctwc Posts: 107
    edited 2013-02-23 07:53
    ...Thanks for posting this here. Anyone who hasn't seen it may want to check the original posting in the Prop1 forum which has a few replies already. I'll get the ball started...

1. W5200 network performance dependence on SPI thruput is apparent - almost doesn't matter what MCU is in charge, just the SPI clock.
    2. I don't know much about beagle/pi, presume they have high-bandwidth (fast&wide) network-memory bus.
    3. Interesting that W5200 UDP and TCP have virtually same performance (maybe due to h/w protocol, SPI bottleneck, or both) since...
    4 ...Conventional s/w stack wisdom is TCP more a burden than UDP, as shown by beagle/pi results (TCP <25% thruput of UDP)
    5. Would be interesting to see results with different W5200 configuration (ex: 8x2KB sockets, 1x16KB socket, etc.) vs. beagle/pi s/w stack.
    5. Don't forget a key issue - under full network load what performance does MCU have left for add'l/realtime application? I imagine Prop+W5200 roughly using just two cogs/8KB RAM, plenty left.

As usual with benchmarks raises as many questions as it answers. One takeaway is it seems W5200 can use TCP instead of UDP and get the benefits of lossless handshaking for 'free'. Anyway, thanks for posting the interesting info.
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-02-24 11:35
    manitou, can you post your test code?