Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simplest (cheapest) Microchip MCU that can be tied to BS2 via SPI ? — Parallax Forums

Simplest (cheapest) Microchip MCU that can be tied to BS2 via SPI ?

CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
edited 2013-02-23 09:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hello.

I'm doing some project and found that I need to unload my BS2 stamp from heavy duty work. I have a microchip protoboard (Easy PIC V7) and bunch of various microchip MCUs. Or I can sample almost all kind of them for free.

I want to go by the way of minimal resistance, so my current basic stamp code outputs data via SPI. I'd be happy to get the model of relevant microchip mcu, so I can interface them.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-22 12:42
    The SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT statements do a simple clocked serial data transfer. Pretty much any Microchip MCU or anybody else's can interface to that using 2 or 3 I/O pins. Some microcontrollers have built-in SPI controllers, but SPI is so simple that you can just handle it directly in software ("bit-banging").
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-02-23 08:39
    Thanks, the table really helped. Since price for PICs is so low, I think I'd prefer to use MCU which already has built-in SPI.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-23 09:05
    When planning the PIC's SPI setup, remember that the Stamp has to be the SPI master and the PIC the SPI slave. The Stamp always provides the clock to the PIC.