Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pololu MinIMU-9 v2 — Parallax Forums

Pololu MinIMU-9 v2

RoboTunaRoboTuna Posts: 25
edited 2013-03-01 14:34 in Accessories
Has any one used this Gyro/Accel/Comp before. I am looking at getting it or one like it but all I can find is Arduino programs for it and others like it. Hopefully there is a Prop solution besides using 3 sensors.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1268

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-02-20 19:53
    I've been using those three sensors for about 4 months now, and they work well enough. The interface is pretty straight forward, just some I2C work and you're done. My current source code is in C++, but I'm not quite ready to release it yet.
  • RoboTunaRoboTuna Posts: 25
    edited 2013-02-20 20:07
    So you have used that sensor for the last 4 months or 3 different sensors
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-02-20 20:55
    I prototyped with the MinIMU, but soon thereafter built a custom board with the L3GD20 and the LSM303DLHC on it. In total, there are three sensors: gyro, accelerometer, and magnetometer. The LSM303DLHC is listed as a single part, but from the I2C level on up it's as if the accelerometer and magnetometer are completely separate.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-02-21 16:42
    I've used the mini IMU, but with Pololu's library and their baby orangutan MCU. The software is Arduino compatible and uses i2c, so a port to the Propeller gcc would seem possible. The IMU is amazingly compact and does exactly what they claim.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-02-22 08:57
    At least they put a mounting hole in this one! Their habit is to not, and rely just on the wiring connector to hold the thing in place. Or camel spit. I done run out of camels.

-- Gordon
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-02-22 09:05
    At least they put a mounting hole in this one! Their habit is to not, and rely just on the wiring connector to hold the thing in place. Or camel spit. I done run out of camels.

I used the mounting hole, but there was still too much wiggle for my tastes. So I tacked it down with a blob of hot melt glue, as camel spit would require a trip to the zoo.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2013-03-01 14:34
    I've used it, but so far have not had much success in doing any kind of integration of the three readings to create a true IMU. The floating point work is not the propellers forte. I was not satisfied with the update rate I could achieve with it thus far.