Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
For Robot Arm Lovers Everywhere — Parallax Forums

For Robot Arm Lovers Everywhere

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2013-08-11 19:57 in Robotics
My latest toy debuted at Toy Fair, so I can finally mention it here publically. This was the dream trackset I was born to make and the most mechanically complicated thing Hot Wheels has done in a long time. It's a pair of spinning, synchronized robot arms with cam-controlled grippers that pick up cars, hand off from one arm to the other, and release them at the top of the set to coast down two different routes, either jumping between the rotating claws or riding across a spinning bridge on the lower arm. It is absolutely insane to watch in operation. I invented it & hand built the prototype last year. It's in development now and I'm helping debug the early units. Not for sale until ~July. Still photos don't do it justice, so when there's public video I'll update. But for now, have a first peek into the wacky world of erco at http://mattelbrandsmedia.com/product.php?category=34&product=48
1024 x 519 - 42K

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-02-19 13:38
    erco wrote: »
    Still photos don't do it justice, so when there's public video I'll update.

Definitely post a video when you can. It looks neat, but it is hard to visualize what it does.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-02-19 13:43
    Martin_H, you don't disappoint. I just knew you'd be my first responder on my arm post, just as Doggiedoc was first on my "new 28 year-old puppy" thread yesterday.

Bet I can snag Duane on most any post with "Rover 5" in the title.

Yes, I am looking for video and will advise. It's pretty dramatic.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-19 14:26
    I agree with Martin, it's kind of hard to figure out what it does (I assume makes little cars go fast and do cool stuff).

Which part has the flaming hoop?
    edited 2013-02-19 14:44
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Which part has the flaming hoop?

That's so 2006. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQngbcldoQ
    edited 2013-02-19 15:56
    erco wrote: »
    Martin_H, you don't disappoint. I just knew you'd be my first responder on my arm post, just as Doggiedoc was first on my "new 28 year-old puppy" thread yesterday.

Yeah I saw the title and was instantly hooked. I might as well be a fish on bass masters.

BTW 167,000+ views on your flaming hot wheels plus a this video might not be acceptable to all ages. I am impressed!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-02-19 19:22
    Well, erco, your new contraption certainly looks cool. But.... really? I mean nowadays the kids don't even have to put the cars on the tracks themselves, eh? A robot does it for them? Man, back when I was a kid... we had to pick up our own cars and place them back on the track all by ourselves. No fancy robots did nothin for us. It was tough work, that. But it made men out of us - men out of every last one of us. Even the girls.

23991_381429140806_7645145806_4346245_6804752_n.jpg
    edited 2013-02-19 20:31
    Aye aye, Electricaye! That's the good old days you describe, but nowadays, kids want the toy to do all that menial labor!
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-20 20:58
    Erco, How come you get the cushy fun jobs???? That thing is AWESOME and I will be helping fund your invention when they hit the market. My grandson is a huge Hotwheels fan. When we were kids we stopped asking for Hotwheels because the old orange tracks doubled as belts!!!!!

Edit: How could one build, or even find the parts to the "Invisible Jet"?????
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-02-20 22:22
    Awesome Erco. Congratulations!
    I only became aware of those latest hotwheels on the w/e when I saw my Grandson racing his. Wow those cars can move - he only has a small track so far.
    It is way different to the Hotwheels we had in my day - just a looong track and car(s) that freespun, albeit with little friction.
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2013-02-22 06:23
    I have a grandson who is turning six this month (going on 25). He really needs Grandpa to get him one of those. Any chance at a pre-buy?
    Don

Edit: Whoops, looks like a few have jumped in ahead of me.
    edited 2013-08-10 21:51
    Nearly coincident with my post #10000, someone finally posted a video of my new toy, Roto Arm Revolution. I couldn't share it previously, but now the cat's out of the bag. I'm proud of this one, and hopefully my love of robot arms comes through loud & clear. Coming this fall, put it on your Christmas list!

Jump to 45 seconds to see the action. Her demo lacks the interaction of multiple cars (4-6) and the car-crushing claw blows off sky high, not lamely attached as her demo suggests.
    edited 2013-08-10 21:57
    Super Cool!

That has erco written all over it! I love it!

Thanks for posting the video.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-08-10 22:01
    Looks like fun.

So what happens if you do NOT carefully follow the instructions for removing it from the wall?

Is that when the flamethrowers pop out?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-11 10:50
    Super job, buddy!

Now we need to get a BS1 in there just to blink some lights. :)
    edited 2013-08-11 11:18
    I need some help coming up with reasons why this should be mounted in our living room. I know from past experience "because the guys on the forum said to do it" doesn't carry much weight.

It would probably be good to get some reasons why it should be in the dining room in case I have to revert to plan B.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-11 11:25
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I need some help coming up with reasons why this should be mounted in our living room. I know from past experience "because the guys on the forum said to do it" doesn't carry much weight.

It would probably be good to get some reasons why it should be in the dining room in case I have to revert to plan B.

Just tell the wife it's some sort of clock. The rotation of the arm...uhm....means something. :)
    edited 2013-08-11 12:00
    Publison wrote: »
    Just tell the wife it's some sort of clock. The rotation of the arm...uhm....means something. :)

I like it. I could have 12 (or maybe 24) cars available to indicate the time.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-08-11 16:59
    erco, that's a nice setup! I really like the fact that it runs smoothly and consistently, and doesn't wreck itself as part of operation. Wall mount means it can stay up permanently, too, without concern for the family baby, vacuum cleaner, dog, or other natural threats.

How come there's never a power supply shipped with these Hot Wheel sets? I think it'd really help in this case, as I'd have this running 24/7.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-08-11 18:57
    As a least a 45 year Hot Wheel fan - this is amazing! Wish it had been around when I was a kid...9,997 worthy.
    edited 2013-08-11 19:57
    Neat. I like the way one of the claws is also a piece of track.