Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any compact mid-infrared sensors available? (DIY thermal imaging camera) — Parallax Forums

Any compact mid-infrared sensors available? (DIY thermal imaging camera)

CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
edited 2013-03-15 13:57 in Accessories
Hello.

I always wanted to have a thermal camera in household, but pricing for FLIR and similar others were always big thumb down for me. Recently, at surplus sale, I was able to acquire quite interesting product, which appears to be laboratory infrared sensor. It consists of two concentric mirror assembly with lens, which looks just like compact telescope. There's a set screw on the top, which appears to focus the system on various distances. There are also two worm drives, which are used to adjust X and Y coordinates of the focus point (They tilt the whole lens assembly left-right,up-down) In the focal point of 2nd mirror, the sensor was located. As I was told, this was plumbum sulphide sensor, which was damaged, due to high voltage applied to it. I've removed it, and it looks like old school leds, with metal case, but with stone-like (germanium?) lens on top. I've checked it with multimeter - it is shorted and no output from it. I took an 5mm infrared led, reduced it's dimensions with sandpaper, and inserted it into assembly. This is how I determined purpose of the front screw. So, assembly looks great, and when coupled with stepper motors, can be used as slow scan thermal imaging camera.

The main problem is, that I was not able to source PbS sensor small enough to fit into the existing assembly. The sensor in there is about 4mm in diameter and 8mm in length. All sensors from Melexis, teledyne judson, etc. appear to be at least 5mm in diameter, so they just won't fit into assembly. Maybe there are some other sensors,which may fit into that size?

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-02-18 19:39
    Quite a few available. I will post a link tomorrow. Not on my own laptop at the moment so the info is not handy.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-02-19 08:53
    Thanks a lot, this will be really helpful.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-02-19 17:00
    Here are the links I have. I am afraid they may not be as much help as I thought yesterday. I have purchased IR image sensor chips and photomultiplier tubes from them in the past, but never a single IR sensor.

http://www.aptina.com/products/features/low_light.jsp
    http://www.teledyne-si.com/infrared_sensors/index.html
    http://www.hamamatsu.com/us/en/index.html
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2013-02-19 22:10
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-03-06 18:55
    How would you go about connecting this with a Stamp or Prop?
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-03-06 21:31
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    How would you go about connecting this with a Stamp or Prop?

Good question. Has anyone written an Object for this thing? I'm guessing it's just a matter of clocking the data into a Prop, but maybe there's more bit-banging involved. Most intriguing to me is that it doesn't seem to require an external lens to operate. True?

I wish I weren't so busy - this looks like something fun to play with.

Here's a link to a brochure: http://pewa.panasonic.com/assets/media/literature/PEWA-Grid-EYE-Brochure-2011.pdf
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-03-06 21:40
    Most intriguing to me is that it doesn't seem to require an external lens to operate. True?
    Not that I can see. It looks like it just detects objects with the IR at the front of it. If I can figure out how to connect it up I might just get a couple. I have always been intrigued by Thermal Imaging but the costs were always way out there!!!!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-03-06 21:46
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    ... If I can figure out how to connect it up I might just get a couple. ...

It's an i2c device, so I guess there's some protocol for banging out the data. Certainly above my pay grade, but if somebody here makes an object for it, I'd be happy to parasitize off the sweat of their more advanced brow.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-03-15 13:57
    Ok, here's my progress:

Since I was not able to source proper sensor, I decided to build a servo control for my lens system. Also, just to start, I decided to buy some simple phototransistor, just to get the proof of my concept, whenever it works or not. Long story short, I've ordered servos, some phototransistors (OSRAM SFH-310 2/3), leds, etc. at digikey. The package promptly arrived, but when unpacked, I found that in the bag labeled "parallax standard servo" there were two 2000 megaohm resistors packed! This is my first case digi-key messing up with the order. I've contacted them quickly and they've sent servos next day, but they haven't arrived yet. Anyways, I have phototransistors, so I decided to build a receiver circuit for it. The book "BASIC Stamp, Second Edition: An Introduction to Microcontrollers" has a nice schematic for receiver with phototransistor "transfer data with laser pointer" chapter. It uses two ancient opamp ICs, about which even google does not knows, so I replaced them with LM358. I've tweaked scematics a bit, adding 2nd output, so I can also have analog on output, not only digital. Installed phototransistor into assembly and started experimenting.

I've faced two problems when experimenting:

1. Ambient light interference. While circuit has pot adjustment for ambient light compensation, fiddling with it each second is quite frightening. So, I definetly need some auto-compensation circuit, anyone got such?

2. Limited sensitivity of SFH310. Initially, I was quite happy with it - it picked up 20w halogen light bulb 30 feet away, but, due to working range, it is insensitive to body heat, warm objects and so on. A friend of mine lend me a mid-ir photodiode, made by german company (ROITHER?) which is really a little wonder- it detects sun position on the sky even in heavy rain and clouds! but, unfortunately, it is way too large, so won't fit into my assembly :(