Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Want to add FREE video to your robot?? Have a smart phone? — Parallax Forums

Want to add FREE video to your robot?? Have a smart phone?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-02-16 18:31 in Robotics
I just found something very intresting on the Android market. There is a free program called IP webcam, it allows you to use the phone as an IP cam wooo. I just tested it over my WIFI, it is not super responsive, even at a lower res with a 25% quality setting. But it works well enough if you just want to get a first person view.

Idk all the details of IP cameras, but it would seem reasonable to me that you may be able to use the IP address as source for robo realm or something like that.

This is a free Android app, there are pay apps that may wok better, I know there are a few apps like this on the iphone too, im not sure about windows mobile though.

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-02-16 17:41
    That sounds interesting. You have a link?
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-02-16 18:31
    Uhmm well i just went to the google play store and got it, The app is called IP Webcam. It uses port 8080, basically the pc side is through your browser. it makes your phone a web server. The index page lets you dowmload a playlist file that streams through vlc, my win media player didnt like it though.

There are a few other apps that can do this but they all needed a special pc app, i couldnt get any of the apps to run on a win7 computer they just crashed or didnt show the video stream. I have a pretty slow 600mhz phone, i had to overclock to 800mhz to get an acceptable video, so im sure a faster phone would work much better than mine. I was connected to my wifi at 78mbits so bandwidth wasnt the issue.

There is also an app called opencv demo on the market. It does edge detection and some other stuff. Pretty neat, i get about 3fps doing edge detection. I havent investigated wether it can be used for anything usefull yet, i.e. acually interfaced to something.