Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Object help / documentation — Parallax Forums

S2 Object help / documentation

HendrikHendrik Posts: 1
edited 2013-02-18 18:28 in Robotics
Hello,

I am a teacher media arts / interactive arts at an art school. Last year we bought some S2's for a project on 'conditional drawing' or drawing based on numbers, rules, etc. For this short term project with students without prior knowledge of programming the Scribbler GUI worked really well.

I would like to get a bit more familiar with the spin language and especially the possibilities for the S2. It seems hard to find any helpful information on the parallax site. Is there any documentation and reference of the 'S2' object? And if so where can I find it.
I found somewhere hidden in the forum a manual that help to make the step from the GUI to spin. Are there any more of these manuals?

Any tips and help are much appreciated.

Best,
Hendrik

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-14 11:37
    What I found helpful in learning about he S2 object was to make a small program with the GUI and then look at the generated code to see what methods from the S2 object were called.

I haven't done much with my S2 lately but I did add an ultrasound to aid its abliltiy to avoid objects. I'm pretty sure I posted the code in this thread.

I have a list of some Spin tutorials in post #3 of my index.

I can't think of any S2 specific tutorials. I'd also like to see one.

People are pretty quick to answer questions around here including Phil who wrote the S2 object, so just ask if you get stuck.

I do recall a forum member who worked on some custom code to control the S2's motors. I don't recall if he ever posted his code. I'll try to find the thread and add a link to it here.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-14 11:45
    Here's a link to the custom software by Gwofe. You might want to read through that thread to learn more about the S2.

I just remembered I have a list of S2 links in post #12 of my index. I'll add the above link to my list.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-02-18 18:21
    Hendrik wrote: »
    I would like to get a bit more familiar with the spin language and especially the possibilities for the S2. It seems hard to find any helpful information on the parallax site. Is there any documentation and reference of the 'S2' object? And if so where can I find it.
    I found somewhere hidden in the forum a manual that help to make the step from the GUI to spin. Are there any more of these manuals?

Just to make sure that you haven't missed this... There is excellent documentation of the S2 Object right in the GUI.

Just click on the "?" button on the top of the GUI

help.JPG

Then go to the bottom of the Table of Contents on the left hand side of the help screen. You will see at the bottom

TableofContents.JPG

Click on the S2 Spin Object Documentation for a complete explanation of the each of the Spin Object's commands.

Also for a starter, I have attached a very beginning tutorial on using the GUI to begin playing with Spin (I wrote this a while back and intended to write more). See attached below... Hope this helps.
    207 x 136 - 15K
    244 x 238 - 19K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-02-18 18:28
    Also, this post by Forum member, NikosG. might be of interest. It has some fantastic ideas and information....

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/138663-“Alphabet-for-S2”-a-collaborative-project.

@Duane - thanks for your index list - tons of good info there!