Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Phone Cop vs. Robocallers — Parallax Forums

The Phone Cop vs. Robocallers

lrcopplrcopp Posts: 12
edited 2013-02-22 18:18 in Robotics
This is the contest: http://robocall.challenge.gov/

This is my entry: http://robocall.challenge.gov/submissions/13334-the-phone-cop

It uses a custom board sitting on top of a propeller quick start. It took around 4 months to put together and is working very well now. I have been working on it much longer then that but I really focused on it when I found out about the contest. I still have quite a few improvements planned for future models.

I have some code targeted for OBEX once it is cleaned up and presentable and I also have an ExpressPCB template which works very well for making PCBs for the quick start. I will put that in another posting.

Comments

• garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2013-02-12 22:52
    Maybe I'm a bit ignorant here, but Is this really for real?

Where would you need to be in order to hear about a legitimate Government sponsored site called challange.gov?

Ircopp - I like your submission
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2013-02-13 06:01
    Where would you need to be in order to hear about a legitimate Government sponsored site called challange.gov?

forums.parallax.com, maybe? :)

Nicely done project btw.
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-02-13 08:00
    Very cool Ircopp, looks like you will have to figure out what to do with $50K, good luck with your new tax problem... :)

-Tommy
  • lrcopplrcopp Posts: 12
    edited 2013-02-13 08:40
    I understand your skepticism and I was thrown off at first but it is for real:

Main FTC site with more info: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/robocalls/

I couldn't believe the timing when I read about it. My prototype was almost functional when I learned about the contest. I even had a few buddies send me links to it since they knew it was custom tailored for my project.
    edited 2013-02-13 08:41
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    Nicely done project btw.

Thanks.
    edited 2013-02-13 08:42
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Very cool Ircopp, looks like you will have to figure out what to do with $50K, good luck with your new tax problem... :)

-Tommy

I look forward to possibly having that tax problem to deal with...Thanks.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-02-13 09:25
    Very nice! It will stop the phone from ringing when a robot call comes in. Simple and elegant.

I was hoping for something that would identify the calling party, and deliver a mild shock of say 50,000 volts to the perpetrators while informing the authorities, but this is a good start. I hope you get the prize.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-13 12:04
    What happens when the Robocalling system figures out to press a number? I love the concept, but must thimk that when it comes to technology, someone most ALWAYS figures out a way to "Beat" the systems.
    edited 2013-02-13 13:50
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    What happens when the Robocalling system figures out to press a number? I love the concept, but must thimk that when it comes to technology, someone most ALWAYS figures out a way to "Beat" the systems.

Even if the robocaller spends $$$$ to add a major voice recognition upgrade to their system it would be defeated with a simple change to the prompt. Instead of "push 5 to continue" it could turn into "What # month is March?" or maybe "What is 5 minus 3?". It is just another example of an 'arms race' but there is no real incentive (meaning payoff) for the robocallers. If they do manage to get past my box they have only reached a HOSTILE customer.
    edited 2013-02-13 14:42
    OK. Now, for the next question. Do some phone companies not already offer something like this? One of my clients has something similar that when someone calls him it says to continue press one, if you are a telemarkeer hang up now. I really do like your concept but if it is something that is already out there then I am curious as to why the government even started the contest.
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2013-02-13 14:50
    ...elegant!!!

:thumb:
    edited 2013-02-14 06:02
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    OK. Now, for the next question. Do some phone companies not already offer something like this? One of my clients has something similar that when someone calls him it says to continue press one, if you are a telemarkeer hang up now. I really do like your concept but if it is something that is already out there then I am curious as to why the government even started the contest.

Yes, some telephone companies offer this service but it is not available from every provider across the Country. They may also charge extra for the service but sometimes it is just bundled as part of your monthly package. The contest is a direct result of the public demanding the FTC to do something since Robocalls are out of control. Legal remedies are almost pointless since calls can come from anywhere on the planet and the most annoying calls (political, fundraiser, etc..) are currently legal.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-02-14 09:22
    lrcopp wrote: »
    ... calls can come from anywhere on the planet and the most annoying calls (political, fundraiser, etc..) are currently legal.

At one point, I determined the "Do Not Call List" was being used as the "Lets start here list" for over seas call centers and bots.

At this point I learned of the "PITA" button. If you can keep them on the line longer than about ten minutes without buying something, or surrendering more information, either the operator or the system flags you as PITA (Pain in the @$$) and you number is removed from the call rotation.

This does not work with Card Member Services "Last Chance to lower your Interest Rates. Consider this your final warning". These bastards call every three days, period.

But I like the concept of wasting their time until they determine they are losing more money than they stand to gain.
    edited 2013-02-14 11:23
    But I like the concept of wasting their time until they determine they are losing more money than they stand to gain.

Or just order something from them and when it arrives refuse to take delivery. They will get tired of eating the freight charge both ways!!!!
    edited 2013-02-14 12:25

The problem with that is it is not just wasting their time...it is also wasting MY time. I prefer to just avoid them entirely and 'opt-out' of the endless cycle of robocalls.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-02-14 13:48
    lrcopp wrote: »
    The problem with that is it is not just wasting their time...it is also wasting MY time. I prefer to just avoid them entirely and 'opt-out' of the endless cycle of robocalls.

could just put the phone down on the table and walk away...maybe make frightening or disgusting noises too while they just drone on and on.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2013-02-14 15:05
    My answering machine makes you wait 15 seconds before the beep. This has really cut down on the number of robo messages. Of couse we do not answer if we don't know who it is.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-02-14 17:57
    could just put the phone down on the table and walk away...maybe make frightening or disgusting noises too while they just drone on and on.

http://triggur.org/robodump
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-02-14 17:59
    This is a nice idea. I'll bet you could raise some cash on Kickstarter in a parallel effort, unless that breaks the rules of the contest.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2013-02-14 18:30
    Quote by lrcopp
    If they do manage to get past my box they have only reached a HOSTILE customer.
    The other pain is the people who call asking if I want to "renew" my magazine subscription. The last person who called me was so pushy I had to hang up because they refused to get a clue.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-02-14 18:33
    erco wrote: »

Over the top funny!
    edited 2013-02-15 05:59

HA!!!...That is hilarious...:lol:
    edited 2013-02-15 06:05
    This is a nice idea. I'll bet you could raise some cash on Kickstarter in a parallel effort, unless that breaks the rules of the contest.

If I win the contest then that will help fund the project further but if I don't then I'm planning on a Kickstarter. There is no conflict with the contest rules and I'm free to pursue it however I want. I will probably go the Kickstarter route anyway just to gauge the projects potential and to get feedback on the design.
    edited 2013-02-22 18:18
    "Project of the Week" for Wednesday, February 20, 2013...Thanks Parallax...:cool: