Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone using MS Robotics Studio, on a DIY bot? — Parallax Forums

Anyone using MS Robotics Studio, on a DIY bot?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-02-16 07:14 in Robotics
So another forum member told me he was using this a while back. and I went and checked it out, found out its only for vista and above. I then ended up with an older version which works with XP. I installed it checked it out and was just totally confused so I I uninstalled it and forgot about it. Well last night I was reading a bunch off the off site articles parallax has, and one was about MSRDS.

So from what I understand you basically program your micro to drive all the hardware on your bot, then you implement a protocall that talks to an ms robotics service running on your computer. The communications can be done via WiFi, BT, the web, whatever from what it sounds like.

Now I know theres some custom firmware out there to have RDS talk to a BOE Bot, then there is of course the eddy which uses RDS. But what I was wondering and couldn't find examples on is how would one get RDS working on a homeade piece of hardware? I was hoping I could find a simple Propeller or Arduino or even BS2 demo, that just implements a bare bones service that allows you to control an h-bridge. I was hoping that id find a whole little package, including firmware and the custom RDS service.

RDS seems like a powerful tool, im amazed no one has somehow conected it to at the least a WiFi Arduino (king of the hobby scene) running a simple l293 hbridge, with vary basic services. MS has really good documentation, I wish all development tools had an MSDN equivalent, Maybe there alot of details in the docs about how to write a simple service and piece of firmware, the problem is the sweet is so overwhelming I wouldnt even know where to start looking. The other issue is, is it worth the time to learn? Like I said I dont see any simple Arduino bots using it, everything has been done on an Arduino, so maybe its just not as great of a tool as I imagine?

The reason I bring this up is I had a similar idea to write custom software in Processing to control my bot and do heavy computations PC Side. Its a very basic easy thing to do, but RDS is already out there. Not only that but ive been looking in to some pretty intense localization algorithms and im sure using something like RDS would make implementing those things a drag and drop affair.

I still have a lot to learn being rather new to electronics, and Ive never taken trig, only half a pre calc class. So any tools that will save me from having to study math books along with hardware/programming books are A ok with me :). Being a mostly Hi Level programmer most of my life working with GUI and Databases, I had never really had to learn much about writing effiecent algorithms and IDK about anyone else but hardcore recursion causes me to bang my head on the wall, I once read a chapter on a sorting algorithm and it took me an hour of re reading the code over and over to follow all the recursion and understtod how it worked. Im starting to realize there will be a lot more of this stuff in robotics!

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-02-12 15:35
    That little white box lets you search the WHOLE forum for msrs with just one click. It's amazing.

Always do a full search before unneccesarily creating a new thread. The info is out there waiting for you.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-02-12 16:55
    Not only did I search this forum but I also Googled interfacing MSRDS to Ardunio thinking that HAD to be a popular thing to do! About the closest thing I found to what im looking for was on the forum. Its the BOE Bot MSRDS stuff updated to use the a spin stamp instead of BS2.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/100177-Boe-Bot-Robot-for-Microsoft-Robotics-Studio-with-a-Spin-Stamp-Microcontroller?highlight=ms+robotic+studio

Its still a bit more of a complicated example than just a basic blink an LED example or switch a motor control pin hi.
    Most of the reason I had started this thread was actually to get some non-review fluffy type opinions about MSRDS. I have a friend who swears by ROS (Robot oOS) its a little Open Source Linuxprogram that allows you to plug in a bunch of python files, used the same way as MSRDS At first glance it very easy to use, if you know Linux and python, its almost all command line. I hadn't heard of MSRDS till i told Andy (nwcctv) about an ROS project my bud had in the works and he suggested I look at MSRDS.

Like I said the thing looks a little daunting, with its enterprise style flow charts and simulations. No where near as easy as plugging a python file in on the command line! Im sure learning to master it is a huge ordeal, along with learning C# and .net. Is this tool worth the effort, or is it just alot of fancy GUI and docs, with very little substance? Im surprised by the lack of hobby robots I see using it, i mean every little Ardunio/Picaxe bot can benefit from something like MSRDS. The only bots i see using RDS have already had firmware files and windows services programmed for them by there manufacturer, bots like, eddie, boe, lego, roomba. This leads me to believe RDS is either mostly Hype and impractical, or too hard to use for most people, but maybe its just one of those goodies people dont know a lot about. Just looking for some opinions, experiences, and good conversation.

With so many good and not so good tools out there it gets hard to figure out whats worth it and whats not, there's no time to learn, or even test them all! I mean we have Robot Basic. ROS, MSRDS and that's only the tip of the iceberg. I would like to see a micro controller or a robot interface program like the ones above that implement LISP, although about as commonly used as FOURTH or ADA these days, it is still designed specifically as a Hi Level way to solve AI problems. I wonder if they ever threw some motors on one of the old M.I.T LISP machines and called it a robot :)
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-12 21:16
    You pretty much have to write your own services for anything not in the library already. It is a chore and if you are serious about it there are a couple books that you may want to get. At a minimum, Sara Morgan's Programming MSRS. Also,http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Microsoft-Robotics-Developer-Programmer/dp/0470141077

I will have to dig up their web site. They have downloads available and also have tutorials that will walk you through step by step. I will say that you will be happier with the newer version. You also will need Visual Studio. MSRS is VERY powerful, but it is also quite a learning curve.
    edited 2013-02-12 23:13
    Well I cant run the newer version on my main PC, only my shared laptop. I know that you make use of MS RDS quite a bit, and seem to think its worth it. Can you do things like drag and drop advanced algorithms in to your bot. Do you maybe have an example of a simple service that light an led using a bs2? Im just curious to see how much code is involved on the PC and Bs2s side.

Why do you think the newer version is better? In reality ig I got a cheap PCI video card and 20 bucks in ram, I could run windows 7. The biggest issue is my intel graphics chipset is not supported, so I cant change my monitors resalution.
  • al1970al1970 Posts: 64
    edited 2013-02-12 23:38
    Hi

Since you have to program your micro to drive all the hardware on your bot anyway, why don't you start there. Other than using the P.C. to pick out faces using a cam; there is not much use for a PC running a robot. For me I think it would take to much of my time to learn all that just to run a robot who knows someones face. If you plan it out, there really isn't that much math in running a robot.

Al
    edited 2013-02-13 00:40
    Thats all depends, I use to think like that but its definately not true... as ive mentioned one of my biggest goals is navigation, and mapping, this uses a ton of trig and physics. Give this a browse, Simultaneous Localization and Mapping algorithm.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/16-412j-cognitive-robotics-spring-2005/projects/1aslam_blas_repo.pdf

Im acually looking at using my phone to stream video to my PC, like an IPCam to have robo realm do image processing, that is totally unrelated to the above article. Having a bot randomly drive around avoiding objects, can be done with any modern micro. A propeller can acually do some pretty darn cool stuff on its own, like simple machine vision, but it can only do very basic stuff in when it comes to more complex things.

I do have full intention of programming my micro first, and writing all the hardware driver, and implementing odometery on the micro, maybe even interial navigation some day. But at some point one wants to implement, AI via machine learning/neural networks, do hardcore accurate navigation, sound recognition and speech. These things arent so easy to do with a micro and would require multiple propellers or for example a 60 dollar emic 2, a 100 dollar cmu cam etc, etc, At this point it is cheaper to just start using a powerfull computer to save money, or using a PC over a network. A better solution to me would be to strap a rasberry pi on the thing with a camera! This has always been my goal for the future. But the idea of something like MSRDS or ROS intrigues me also, as it allows for the massive computing power of a network of computers to solve complex problems. Im not saying I will ever do this but imagine this, but machine vision is a perfect example of scaleabilty. Solution A, cmucam, or prop with cmos cam, with this we can analyze blobs for color detection and motion tracking, simple problems, this is possible at low resolutions and low expectations in speed. Solution 2 RasPI, we can now use openCV and and probably do edge detection at 5fps 640x480 when the camera module is available . Solution #3 a laptop, we just got up to 20fps or so at 800x600. Solution #4 Streaming 1080p video over the network to a cluster of 20 PCs, now we can run multiple openCV/roborealm filters on hi res video at massive frame rates.

I know machine vision is a bad example, because you mentioned it would be the only reason for a PC. The reason I chose it is I just cant think of anything specific that could make use of a hi end cluster setup. But the point is your robot can do as complex of tasks as you want or as simple tasks as you want, a micro, even prop or ARM cant always do everything! In this day and age of machine learning and complex AI systems, the solution to the problem may require a massive amount of RAW DMIPS, or maybe the massive parallelism of an FPGA.

I do agree using MSRDS or RasnerryPI's to control a robot whos main sensors are push buttons on the bumper, is well overkill. But it is also good and simple way to teach your self to use something like MSRDS to help you expand in to the bigger picture of robotics experimentation. My interest has always been navigation whos primary sensor is a DIY M.I.T Cantanna RADAR that can do hi res imaging. This is not something im ready to put together tommorow, but when I get there ill need more than the biggest baddest micro out, this is actually another application which may scale well to something as large as a cluster of PCs, so the doppler info can be imaged as quickly as possible for the bot to make use of.
    edited 2013-02-13 06:48
    MSRS? :)
    Simultaneous localization & mapping algorithm? :)

Time to manage expectations. Build your Stingray, try the figure 8 challenge, and THEN we can talk. Until then, all this chatter is merely uninformed speculation.
    edited 2013-02-13 09:41
    This is very true!! Like I said some of the stuff im saying sounds very "spectacular" at least for a newb hobbyist. This is not something I expect to happen over night. The first things to conquer are getting the stingray built, along with all the other home made stuff going on it. Then get it doing some object detection and figures 8s, and a bit of dead reckoning, like the retro bot. I understand there needs to be a strong foundation with the basics before one can move twords the advanced.

But its ok to have a goal/dream in mind, no reason to stop at figure 8s and dead reckoning, that would make robotics very boring! On a plus note I think my goal is fairly achievable with hard work, and has been done before, im not shooting to make my "robot learn and think" or some nuts thing like that! I actually found this on parallax's site and figured it would be the best place to start trying to do room mapping, after I have a good handle on odometry, and basic navigation. Its a boebot with a wireless using a pc do do very very simple mapping.. quick nice read if you've never seen it

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/article/RobotMappingLauraWong.pdf
    edited 2013-02-13 14:58
    Can you do things like drag and drop advanced algorithms in to your bot.
    Not that I am aware of. However, someone else may know this and can answer. I am by no means an expert at MSRS.
    Do you maybe have an example of a simple service that light an led using a bs2?
    The only thing I have worked on thus far was to get my BoeBot going via Bluetooth through MSRS. The MS Code and Parallax code are for older BT adapters so that took me a while. I started doing the exercises from Trevors book and then went out of town and broke my wrist and sort of stopped there. Business has been so hectic lately that I really have not had time to get back on it.
    Why do you think the newer version is better?
    I like it because it works well with Visual Studio 2010. If you have the older version and are happy with it that is your option. I just like the feel of the newer version better. I was actually referred to MSRS a few years back by someone that was in the FIRST competition. Although they did not use it, he highly recommended it. It is more advanced and takes some time to learn but once you have a service created you can drag that service on to your template.There is some stuff out there that was written for the scribbler that is for the BS2 and is fun to play around with. Of course if you do not have a Scribbler it might be tough. I guess you could pretty much figure everything out as far as connections from the BS2 code. Let me know if you need links to any of the items I mentioned. I would be glad to help but like @erco said, get that Stingray built!!!! My idea from the begining has been to use MSRS with an Atom MB and Stamps both, which is why I have been learning the MSRS.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2013-02-13 15:29
    Erco, I don't see why you are being discouraging. It's kind of off-topic and not helpful in any way.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2013-02-13 15:38
    The only good thing about MS RDS is the ease of connecting a Kinect and viola SLAM. Version 4 is a beast according to the specs. Haven't messed with it but even the earlier versions were too bloated for me to consider running on and even off any robot I've built.

Edit: I meant to say yes I have used it with a robot somewhere in there hehe...
    edited 2013-02-13 16:10
    I like it because it is helping me learn some things I did not know before. I also REALLY like the Webcam Service. Not sure if that is in the older versions or not. When I dropped the service in my program and ran it, it picked up the web cam on my Netbook and started using it immediately. I have not yet tried it for machine vision but I am pretty sure there is not going to be much more to it.
    edited 2013-02-13 21:50
    The only good thing about MS RDS is the ease of connecting a Kinect and viola SLAM. Version 4 is a beast according to the specs. Haven't messed with it but even the earlier versions were too bloated for me to consider running on and even off any robot I've built.

Edit: I meant to say yes I have used it with a robot somewhere in there hehe...

Thats was soooo confusing.... LOL. Is version 4 a beast as in good, or bloated. Are you saying you have used version 4 and liked it, or that you wouldnt consider running any version? Reading your post 3 more times I think your saying if I want to do SLAM with a Kinetic MSRDS will make my life easy but other than that you would never use it?
    edited 2013-02-13 22:02
    Zoot wrote: »
    Erco, I don't see why you are being discouraging. It's kind of off-topic and not helpful in any way.

Probably true. In recent weeks, I've drained my "helpful" tanks in numerous attempts to seriously answer rwgast's robotics questions with hopes of encouraging him to actually build his first robot. Never happened, AFAIK. Yet his postings have accelerated and became more fanciful and less focused (from "attaching a wheel" to "simultaneous localization & mapping algorithms"), so I'll just keep my opinions to myself and wish him the best.
  • garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2013-02-13 23:10
    I keep following these threads because they start as an interesting topic.
    However;
    If the discussions are not related to a particular project, they really don't advance a project.

I know about procrastination involved in starting a new or different project.
    Currently, I'm working on my first differential platform using plywood wheels and Chevy Tahoe wiper motors
    It took me a few weeks to finally start building my wheels.

Mr Gast
    It will always be helpful to define what your end goal is.
  • al1970al1970 Posts: 64
    edited 2013-02-13 23:49
    Hi:

erco and I are trying to tell rwgast_logicdesign the same thing. Build something 1st then play with it and learn.

"Probably true. In recent weeks, I've drained my "helpful" tanks in numerous attempts to seriously answer rwgast's robotics questions with hopes of encouraging him to actually build his first robot. Never happened, AFAIK. Yet his postings have accelerated and became more fanciful and less focused (from "attaching a wheel" to "simultaneous localization & mapping algorithms"), so I'll just keep my opinions to myself and wish him the
    best."

"Thats all depends, I use to think like that but its definately not true... as ive mentioned one of my biggest goals is navigation, and mapping, this uses a ton of trig and physics. Give this a browse, Simultaneous Localization and Mapping algorithm.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronauti..._blas_repo.pdf"

I looked at it. Like I said before; if you plan it out, there really isn't that much math in running a robot. The more you have the harder you are going to make the problem!

Want the robot to find it's way around the house. Have it run close to wall; have what you are using for a range finder point at the wall. You will know if you are going too far off the path. Have the range finder point forward. You know it's 10 ft until you would hit the wall. Your robot counts your wheel turns. If your range finder "see" something way before 10 ft you know it's an object.

Ex: 2 If the robot moves all the way to the wall and the wheel counter says it's only 9'10"
    add to the wheel counter so it says 10 ft.

See no hard math.

Want to put a compass on your robot a, micro can handle it.

What we are both trying to say is, it's time to get some hands on.

Al
    edited 2013-02-14 00:28
    @Erco, I tried very hard to build a few bots from scratch or repupose things in to robots. I majorly failed with my last attempt, My first attempt worked, but the mechanics just weren't there. The point being is ive gotten a few bots semi completed with video and all, there at least rolling and have speed control. The reason I got a sting ray is to bypass issues like wheels falling off, and stupid stuff like that. These problems either arise from not having the right tools for the job or using sub par components.

I do admit I have a tendency to ask a lot of questions, maybe be a bit OCD on the research, and ive probably even given up on perfectly good things I had going due to perfectionism. Some of the questions I ask like the DIY encoder thing are just true questions im hoping to learn a bit about from a practical side, since ive researched the theory. I ask these questions number 1, it will help benefit me when I build my own, number 2 I just like talking about stuff with people I like hearing what people have to say its interesting.

I read up on MSRDS and thought it sounded super neat Googled the heck out if and it peaked my curiosity I couldn't find very many from scratch projects using it. I know there are people on this forum like NWCCTV who use it, I figured instead of writing him an e mail i would would bait him with a post, this way if anyone else is using it, they can chime in too, and anyone who is curious about it can read it.

I never claim I have done any of this stuff or that I can to do it. Heck as far as MSRDS I dont even claim to want to use it, I just wanted to start a conversation to talk about it, because it sounds like it could be potentially interesting. Heck maybe by the end of the thread I would be convinced its as good as chocolate cake, and I would know this is something I really want to invest time in learning, its not a gimmick. I don't think using MSRDS is any kind of huge challenge even for a robotics NEWB. If anything it could make my life easier, I would be writing code on the prop to parse serial data and call Obex objects. If you bust through the learning curb of MSRDS you can write everything in familiar PC languages and not worry about any of the low level tasks going on, on the micro.

Next on to the grand mapping idea of mine. Like I said I know its not easy, I know it wont be anytime soon. I know I may not even be able to achieve it myself I think it would make a great open group project for anyone interested in mapping, I know there are a lot of people out there who would like to be able to do solid room mapping, Duane said its one of his goals. I also made the comments about slam in passing as to why encoders are so important to me, if I eventually want to do anything cool like this I will need to build the best encoder I can, and I will need to learn as much about odometry and dead reckoning as I can. Heck Ill be the first to say that maybe it will take me a year till I am happy with just my odmetery skills. I wasn't asking how to do SLAM, or any kind of basic mapping. Once again I was just throwing something out there to see what people may say about the idea. Its a cool topic im interested to see if maybe someone else out there was already doing it.

As ive said a few times before, my inspiration in to robotics almost had nothing at all to do with robots... I want to eventually sit down and do the MIT open course ware on continuous wave doppler radar systems. These things are super neat and can even do super hi resolution imaging and height mapping, There are quite a few hobbyist who have built these systems. I mean the kind of data you can pull back from these guys make 2 grand laser scanners look pitiful and im sure if you ran the images they can produce in to something like openCV you could do some awesome awesome stuff. Anyways I thought about building one but then I thought hey this is something that would be awesome on a rolling platform, that why I started learning about robots. As I found out more about what goes in to a rolling platform I realized that I needed to learn quite a bit before I would accomplish my dream. But this is still the final goal... maybe by the time I get to it technology will be way better, or at least cheaper.

I understand you have to walk before you can crawl, believe me. But it is also ok to have long term goals, and it is ok to be so excited about that stuff you want to talk about it and see what other people have to say about it. Unfourtantely I don't have anyone to talk to about this kind of stuff these days, besides you guys. I know that these ideas you say are "fanciful" do seem grandiose, but there not impossible they have all been done and most of them have a lot of documentation explaining how they have been done. A "fanciful" idea would be something like making a robot truly "think" and take action based on "emotions" it remembers from past experiences..... maybe making a ridiculously massive FPGA stack like the "Big Brain" to solve neural networks.... These are the kind of ideas that are impossible or just plain impractical and a waste of time.

The thing is I do walk away learning from what ive been told, for example, the encoder thread helped me make a few decisions I was sketchy on, while at the same time I learned that not all Modulated IR Receivers work with continuous pulsing. You know I think ive come up with a pretty decent and quite power and motor control system for my bot, thanks to getting a bit of help with inductor layout and battery charging, these things can still be improved on but there a lot better than using l298 Chinese motor controllers and non rechargeable alkaline batteries.

I respect you a lot and I think your a pretty smart guy, one of the top guys on this forum as far as building bots goes. Basically ill sum it up, i know sometimes I may ask to many questions, and maybe you think your answers go anywhere and your wasting your time, but that is in no way true at all.

On that not I will reiterate its just fun to have discussions about this kind of stuff, and im not an engineering student, my girlfriend surely doesn't care...
    edited 2013-02-14 09:52
    Thats was soooo confusing.... LOL. Is version 4 a beast as in good, or bloated. Are you saying you have used version 4 and liked it, or that you wouldnt consider running any version? Reading your post 3 more times I think your saying if I want to do SLAM with a Kinetic MSRDS will make my life easy but other than that you would never use it?

Version 4 is a beast as in system requirements. I have not used it so I shouldn't comment on it. I think it's mostly due to the 'Virtual Lab'. It just doesn't seem like something you'd run onboard a robot. Maybe if you want to develop large robots or self driving cars.

Sure you don't need to run the laptop and RDS onboard the robot but then you lose the Kinect which to me is only thing worth using RDS for.

As far as SLAM goes RDS is awesome, minus the above, you'll be up and running in minutes. But, if you want to do that, you'll need a laptop on your robot to use the Kinect and then you might start to feel as I did. SLAM is great but do you really need to strap a laptop with a dual core, 2+GB RAM, 10GB HDD space, decent dx9 video hardware, and 2+ USB channels to a robot to do anything but SLAM? Probably not.

I hate to say to not try something that I didn't personally like lol. You should try it, if you have the hardware it won't cost you anything. Kinect sensors are pretty cheap on eBay.

I 3d mapped my entire office using a robotic camera tripod, the files are massive and require lots of number crunching. That could be due to me not fine tuning things as well as they should be. I had way more fun seeing the capabilities of SLAM, no so much implementing them. Suddenly putting 20 PINGs on a robot seemed like a better idea, but again that is because I didn't really need the full wonders of SLAM, nor did I plan on using a Kinect sensor over a laser.

I dug up some SLAM stuffs...

Here's one of my benches SLAM'd -
    3d desk.jpg

Here's a better view of the details - http://youtu.be/9p_xERWQIAk

Here's a SLAM spycam spying on a wannabe mad scientist - http://youtu.be/NWIYj2SF_H8

One really cool thing with the Kinect is tracking people and gestures - http://youtu.be/QZ9fOop9zkc (the cool part is how easy it is to code into your program) this was a demo someone wrote.
    1024 x 711 - 145K
    edited 2013-02-14 10:28
    O wow, I had just read about doing this with a laser, this stuff with the kinect is pretty awesome looking, that 3D map is crazy!

Very Very Impressive!
    edited 2013-02-14 11:16
    The Kinect runs on a Prop if I am not mistaken. The code for it is in Spin. So, if MSRS can connect to that, then you can make it connect to your own stuff. Like I said, it's a learning curve. It took me a couple weeks to figure out how to run my BoeBot with BS2 through Bluetooth and MSRS. However, in the process I learned quite a lot about MSRS. I am not saying it is for everyone and it is definately bloated but I run it on my 1.6 GHz Atom Netbook and it does OK.
    edited 2013-02-14 18:49
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    The Kinect runs on a Prop if I am not mistaken. The code for it is in Spin. So, if MSRS can connect to that, then you can make it connect to your own stuff. Like I said, it's a learning curve. It took me a couple weeks to figure out how to run my BoeBot with BS2 through Bluetooth and MSRS. However, in the process I learned quite a lot about MSRS. I am not saying it is for everyone and it is definately bloated but I run it on my 1.6 GHz Atom Netbook and it does OK.

I'm guessing the closest you'd get to connecting a Kinect to a microcontroller would be some ARM based Windows system. Kinect is data and bandwidth intensive in my book I wouldn't even want to see the performance you'd get running it on a USB port connected to a micro, if it's even possible.

After digging through some of those videos I'd like to change my stance to- The Kinect and RDS are awesome, you just need the right application, and the price is right for both at least to try out regardless of what building stage you're in.

PrimeSense has a bunch of fuuuuun SDKs too. There's a few videos NSFW we made with it, if ya know what I mean hehe.
    edited 2013-02-14 19:00
    Kinect runs on a Prop
    My bad. For some reason I was thinking the Kinect was the Eddie platform!!!! Cancel that comment in post #21.
    edited 2013-02-14 23:10
    Just for future purchasing reference is there any reason to buy the pc version of the connect rather than the 360 version? Also if u didnt know asus (i think) makes there own kinect type sensor thats a bit cheaper and i belive fully kinect compatible at least when it comes to pc/robotic stuff, dont think it eorks for the 360
  • DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2013-02-15 10:34
    The PC one comes with software and is set up to work at a desk top range. The 360 needs to be farther away. I think the PC one will work at 360 range too.
    edited 2013-02-15 10:50
    I found this unofficial thread on the differences - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/e5aaa17c-a6be-4637-b1e1-e2d2754471f5/ (there's even some mention of a BOE Bot in there)

The info on MS site. It looks like it supports more features and has longer range, but a lot of people above seem to mention pros and cons so I'd read it thoroughly. The Windows 8 support is interesting, I may play around with that and not sell the highly annoying Windows 8 PC I just built, maybe it is good for something.

I had the oldest 360 version, not even sure if there was a PC version when I was using it.

I did get the Asus version, it was cool looking, nice and small and lightweight, but it didn't work with a lot of the SDKs I had, so I returned it because I didn't need the XBox one to begin with.

I'm not sure what the Asus can do right now, but it seemed to have it's own unique set of SDKs. All of my experiences in this were almost two years ago so it's pretty vague...
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2013-02-16 07:14
    I have been working with both the Windows and XBox versions of the Kinect for the last year. As xanadu said, the operational difference is the range as the Windows version has close mode. The other major difference for me is the licensing. If you want to create a commercial product based on the Kinect you have to use the Windows version. Anecdotaly it seems like the USB support is better, although that is hard to say because I've also updated the SDK to 1.6. Regardless, the combination of the Windows Kinect and 1.6 have turned a somewhat flaky sensor into a dependable addition to a robotics platform. The fact that the Kinect takes 60% of a USB controller is really the limiting factor for smaller robotics and finding the right combination of small footprint inexpensive processor board that can actually handle the data combined with the power requirements of Kinect/processor/Propeller/robot is a challenge.

To the point of RDS for a DIY bot, it boils down to the question of what you need. I would love a CNC controlled router but I just don't do enough wood work to justify the cost, learning curve and storage space. If you want to do line following with a one pound robot then RDS is probably WAY overkill. If you are creating a critical robotics application that needs distributed processing either for power or redundancy, or if your sensor base is distributed over disparate elements then RDS makes sense. If you are trying your hand at incorporating the Kinect onto a larger robotic platform using VPL in RDS makes sense as it is fairly easy to do, can be done in simulation if you don't have the hardware, and most importantly is free.

If you're looking for a challenge and are a C# programmer then RDS is definitely the way to go!

Todd