Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Q on electronic component — Parallax Forums

Q on electronic component

the_0utsider1the_0utsider1 Posts: 13
edited 2013-02-11 13:20 in BASIC Stamp
Please be gentle - im a newby.
Im trying to put together a circuit on a breadboard but am having trouble with a component.
It is the relay Panasonic TX2-L2-3V at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370607313767&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
I wonder if am reading the manual correctly @ http://pewa.panasonic.com/assets/pcsd/catalog/tx-catalog.pdf

i tried wiring pin1 4v, pin 12gnd as well as pin 1&12 4v, pin 6,7gnd
Either way an ohmmeter shows that the relay does not switch.
How do i wire this or did i get a bunch of bad relays??
Would someone please help so i can wire it up and start testing my program?

TIA!!!!

Comments

• Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2013-02-11 13:14
    A quick look at the data sheet you linked to provides the answer. The TX2-L2-3V is a 2 coil, 3 volt, LATCHING relay. The coils are connected to pins 1 & 6 and 7 & 12. Pins 1 & 12 are the + end and 6 & 7 are the - end.
    The way I remember how this works is that you provide a short ~4+ ms pulse to one coil to operate the relay and without anymore juice flowing the relay will remain in the operated state. To release the relay to the original state requires an equal or longer pulse on the other coil.

If you dig into the data sheet it should tell you what the actual "Pick" and "release" times are.

Hal
  • garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2013-02-11 13:20
    Hi
    It might be worthwhile to check for coil resistance.
    If the manual you are looking at gives a coil resistance, check the pins you are powering to see if they have that resistance.
    I have been confused in the past when trying to connect some different types of relays.
    Sometimes the drawings are shown top view and sometimes pin side view.
    If you are reading something on the order of 100 to 500 ohms on the relay pins you are connecting, more than likely you are
    wiring the coil correctly.
    You also need to be sure you are applying the specified voltage.

I hope this helps you out.