Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Want a big bot? Check out this deal!! — Parallax Forums

Want a big bot? Check out this deal!!

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-02-11 13:23 in Robotics
I found this the other day, I didnt want to post it because I was considering buying it. I then realized at this point in my life I have no place to feasibly build and test a bigger robot. The other issue I have with this sale is there is no specs, I considered using an arm board I have with a compass/gyro/accelerometer built in to test my hand at a segway, but im unsure if this will carry an acuall person. Anyways check this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBOTICS-WHEEL-DRIVE-PROJECT-ASSEMBLY-ROBOT-BATTLEBOT-HAM-RADIO-/261159544662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce526756

I think this is a killer deal for $30 bucks, im sure shipping will be pricey but still well under whatever a set of motors and wheels like this would cost.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-02-09 17:01
    The other issue I have with this sale is there is no specs,...
    I think this is a killer deal for $30 bucks,...
    But you're certain that it's "a killer deal".
    im sure shipping will be pricey but still well under whatever a set of motors and wheels like this would cost.
    The listing states "economy shipping - $19"
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-02-09 17:20
    I do think it is a good deal, the exact specs may not be there but, its reasonable to guesstimate what could be done with the motors. The motors can drive those tires along with a led acid battery, the mount is in the center. Then we know we can add some more weight because its obvious there was a lot more framing. Well say at the very low end of the spectrum this whole set up weighed 25lbs.... im sure it was much more. The add says this was from a golf caddy, google shows an average set of clubs is 32lbs. I dont think any product like this would push the motor near its stall limit, so I think it would be safe to say this drive train can push 60lbs of weight at 50% of its stall current.

I may be totally wrong, and I would bet I am, but wrong on the low side. For 59 dollars you can buy a nice set of 12v hobby gear head motors, of a complete drive train that looks competitive with the Parallax wheel and motor set used on the eddy! I have to say my biggest issue for not investigating this more is the size, I just dont have anything reasonable to do with this size bot, unless it was 4wd. I would have definitely bought this if the seller had two.

If you think this is a bad deal, I would like to know the reasoning. Im very much open to anyones opinion as it may save me from buying items in the future that are a waste of money
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-02-09 20:14
    Might be a "killer deal" for a Robomagellan GPS chassis for outdoor use.

Speaking of which, what ever became of the last few Parallax quadrovers? IIRC they said they were gonna give those away ~2 Christmases ago to whoever generated good PR for Parallax.
    edited 2013-02-09 20:22
    Why did they stop making those? They must have been discontinued a bit after I learned about parallax because ive only seen them on ebay and personal sales. Ive always wondered how difficult it would be to get accuracy out of gas powered drive systems, or even smaller scale nitro gas powered RC stuff. Anyways they were really cool!!

Ereco you dont think these would be cool for those tellepresence two wheel bots, that look like a shelving unit with a laptop lol
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-09 20:55
    Well, Killer deal or not I just bought it!!!! It looks as though it may almost be a perfect fit for one of my many project ideas!!!!
    edited 2013-02-09 23:24
    Well thats awesome, I have to say i was super close to nabbing this set up, it would have been cool as a project if i already had a decent bot rolling around, but this thing is just to impractical for a main bot. I want to know all about this thing when you get it, im sure your extra hb25s will work out well on this thing. Glad someone snagged it.
    edited 2013-02-10 09:31
    Only problem is, I just found out the motors ARE NOT included. It sure sounds like the motors come with in the description, correct? I told the seller I do not want if there are no motors. If he ships any ways I will dispute with PayPal as the item would not be as described. I asked if they were included because I did not see them in the pic but figured I better nab if I wanted them.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-02-10 10:04
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Only problem is, I just found out the motors ARE NOT included. It sure sounds like the motors come with in the description, correct?

The ad reads " ... WITH 2 GEARMOTOR ASSEMBLY THAT DRIVE THE WHEEL SHAFT 28 INCHES WIDE".

Sounds to me like motors were included. He should have said GEARBOX instead of GEARMOTOR.
    edited 2013-02-10 10:18
    He should have said GEARBOX instead of GEARMOTOR.

My thoughts exactly. This is why they let you view your listing before it is posted!!!

Seller says he has the motors on another auction. I am going to try and get him to send the motors also but I am thinking he will most likely cancel the sale.

Edit: One of those "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" moments!!! Still, I think he should throw in the motors even if he will lose money. better than getting bad feedback and having to involve PayPal!
    edited 2013-02-10 10:48
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Seller says he has the motors on another auction. I am going to try and get him to send the motors also but I am thinking he will most likely cancel the sale.

Edit: One of those "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" moments!!!

Yup! 6 available, he's parting them out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12VDC-Gearmotor-3500-RPM-12V-DC-130-WATTS-AMPS-17-Model-PM50-38-/261159535385
    edited 2013-02-10 10:55
    Yup! 6 available, he's parting them out.

Great, Now I just need to convince him to honor his original description.

I am also curious as to how the motors are used but the base and wheels are listed as New.
    edited 2013-02-10 11:13
    Here is another shaddy thing, the add says gearmotor assembly is included, leading you to believe your getting the motors right, no hes only giving you the gearboxes.. Well hes selling the motors as GEARMOTORS, how can they be gearmotors when the gear boxes are attached to the chassis which is sold separately!! I would point out all these mistakes and tell the seller your going to give him a bad rating and report him to ebay if at the least he does not re word his adds to say, chassis with gearbox assembly, and 12v DC Motor, gearbox not included. This guy should have just kept the gearboxes and motors together.

Im sorry I brought this up now..

EDIT:
    Those pictures acually look like gearhead motors, maybe the chassis assemly does nothing besides hold the motors....
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-02-10 12:09
    Those pictures acually look like gearhead motors, maybe the chassis assemly does nothing besides hold the motors....

Nah, they look like motors to me. Hard to tell for sure but it looks like they bolt right up to the gearboxes on the "chassis" thing.
    edited 2013-02-11 09:09
    Seller agreed to cancel transaction but is acting like it is my fault. Here is his email to me from earlier.

hello ?, yes i know once you found out i had some motors that you think they should be included. well the motor are worth alot more than the wheels. we both know that. when you buy part (brakes, wheels,oil) for a car you dont epect the rest of the car.
    the tiutle says wheel drive assembly
    edited 2013-02-11 09:13
    Nah. Here's his description:

BUILD WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE FROM A MOTORIZED GOLF BAG CADDY.... WHEELS ARE KENDRA 11 X 4.0 -5 4 PLY RATING SUPER TURF.
    ON A ALUMINUM ASSEMBLY WITH 2 GEARMOTOR ASSEMBLY THAT DRIVE THE WHEEL SHAFT 28 INCHES WIDE

He says "motorized" and "gearmotor". His bad.
    edited 2013-02-11 09:20
    Yea, But rather than admitting he screwed up he makes it sound like I did!!!!!
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2015-07-01 22:32
    From one of the pictures, it appears the motors aren't installed, but as erco says he claims it is "motorized" and it has "2 gearmotors!"

I'd be pitchin' a ***** to eBay!

@
    edited 2015-07-01 22:32
    I'd be pitchin' a ***** to eBay!

Yes, I intend to. I would have left well enough alone had he admitted he screwed up but he is making it sound as if I do not know what I am doing.
    He canceled the sale but I am still upset about the whole deal.
    edited 2013-02-11 11:22
    Dude thats ridiculous Ebay better make him fix those adds! If I were him at the least I would have fixed my stuff and given you the option to get the motors for the extra shipping plus 10 bucks or something... How does this guy have 100%
    edited 2013-02-11 13:23
    Since the transaction was canceled I can not even contact EBay about it. I could probably try and call them but I am not going to wastemore time on it. I can leave Negative feedback for the seller in a week and let others decide from there. I am pretty sure if he list the item again in the same manner someone else will receive the item and will not be all too happy!!!!!