Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DIY Web Enabled PLC — Parallax Forums

DIY Web Enabled PLC

WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
edited 2013-02-10 00:21 in Robotics
A few years ago I designed and built a submersible device that was used to install supplemental floatation under dock floats. The device had 4 main components: the submersible – some floating valves and vacuum generator – a wearable backpack containing a Stamp PLC with control pendent – and a portable air compressor. The efficiency of the device caused nearly effortless work and it wasn’t long before I began to ponder the idea of controlling the device from my easy chair at home. Real time video and some expensive Web stuff would have made that possible.

With marina maintenance scaled back for budgetary reasons the machine sits collecting dust today, but my musings of remote control lived on. Today, a handful of Parallax accessories and Mike G’s new Spinneret tools, WebServer_W5100 & epin have now given me everything necessary to build an economical DIY Web enabled controller that could make my ponderings come true. …still no real time video, but that wouldn’t stop me from heading to my easy chair – the machine operator using a headset and a cell phone could relay instructions. I’m sure a couple of Xbees with operator issued voice commands might be the better route to go, but then I found that my direct involvement usually increased production.

This form of the DIY Web enabled PLC consists of 2 Parallax I/O boards, a Spinneret module, an LCD display, and a Quickstart microcontroller. Currently I have remote (Web) control of the 16 relays using a BS2. Additional program code may be written reset the state of the relays as necessary. (Sorry, I don’t know enough Spin yet to program the Quickstart.)

The attached BS2 example is a modified version of a program I wrote a while back while thinking about designing a portable EPS foam recycling machine. But all the code pieces are there if you sort through it. Links for Mike G’s Spinneret code may be found in the Spinneret forum.

If you build it, they will find a use for it. - Gordon
758 x 568 - 92K
764 x 572 - 102K
778 x 584 - 53K
778 x 584 - 91K
735 x 490 - 110K

Comments