Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBEE USB adapter with Zigbee Pro — Parallax Forums

XBEE USB adapter with Zigbee Pro

QuadrtrFlyrQuadrtrFlyr Posts: 73
edited 2013-02-06 00:47 in Accessories
I was wondering are the Xbee USB adapter boards compatible with the Zigbee Pro modules?? I was reading that there might be some power requirement issues and was unsure whether or not these two devices are plug and play.

Best,
Robert

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-02-05 15:09
    Robert,

The USB XBee Adapter Rev A wasn't programmed to provide the higher current from the USB interface, so it topped out at about 100mA. However the USB XBee Adapter Rev B has a beefier regulator and it programmed to request full power (500mA) from the USB port. While a Pro module will work on the Rev A board it probably won't reach maximum power output. So the Rev B is the one should have for connecting the Pro modules to the USB port.
  • QuadrtrFlyrQuadrtrFlyr Posts: 73
    edited 2013-02-05 15:20
    Excellent! I have 2 of the Rev B USB XBee USB Adapter modules. You mentioned that the Pro modules work, but does that include the ZB Pro modules? I ask this questions because under the product page for the XBee USB adapter there is no mention of the ZB modules under the category. Associated Modules:

Thank you, Robert
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-05 15:49
    As I understand it, the xBee and Zigbee modules consist of identical hardware with different firmware loads. You can actually reload the firmware yourself to change one module into the other. Note that the Pro and non-Pro modules are different hardware-wise. The Pro module has a more powerful transmitter and takes more current.
  • QuadrtrFlyrQuadrtrFlyr Posts: 73
    edited 2013-02-05 16:19
    Mike Green wrote: »
    As I understand it, the xBee and Zigbee modules consist of identical hardware with different firmware loads. You can actually reload the firmware yourself to change one module into the other. Note that the Pro and non-Pro modules are different hardware-wise. The Pro module has a more powerful transmitter and takes more current.

Awesome, I will give the Zigbee modules a go with the USB adapter. Should have just reloaded the zigbee firmware onto my old XBee pro modules instead of purchasing them.... Oh well, Thanks!

Robert
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-05 17:43
    Mike Green wrote: »
    As I understand it, the xBee and Zigbee modules consist of identical hardware with different firmware loads. You can actually reload the firmware yourself to change one module into the other.

@Mike, I don't think the firmware between ZigBee (aka Series 2 (I think they're also known as Series2.5)) and Series 1 XBees is something the user can change.

There are a variety of firmwares for each series but I'm pretty sure you can't change one series into the other.

@QuadrtrFlyr, I think the main concideration of the adapters is that of power. I'm just about sure the two series of XBees are otherwise pin compatible (at least with the main tx, rx and power pins).
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-05 18:45
    How do I know which version of XBee I have? I have 2 of them that are at least a few years old and since I now own a PropBoe I would like to use one of the USB adapters to get them working.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-05 19:48
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    How do I know which version of XBee I have? I have 2 of them that are at least a few years old and since I now own a PropBoe I would like to use one of the USB adapters to get them working.

Some of my XBee have the series written on the front.

If you puchased the XBees from Parallax, it's probably a Series 1 version. I don't recall ever seeing Parallax sell Series 2/2.5/ZigBee versions.

While both Series 1 (there's also another name for this series which I don't recall right now 802.15.4) and ZigBee XBees both use 2.4GHz there are also XBees that use 900MHz.

I just noticed at SparkFun that there is also a Series 2B (ZigBee Mesh), I don't know how these compare with the other XBees.

I think you can also get this information by using the X-CTU software and have the software read the firmware version installed on the XBee (I think this will also give you the series information (of sorts, it might need some interpreting)).

Edit: I noticed on this page the following note.
    Note: Series 1 and Series 2B XBee modules have the same pin-out. However, Series 1 modules cannot communicate with Series 2B modules.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2013-02-06 00:47
    Parallax does sell both series 1 and series 2 XBs.

Series 2 always (?!) has "series 2" or "s2" printed on the module. Series 1 from Digi are usually marked "s1". Well, you may find some old ones manufactured by Maxstream (before buyout by Digi) that do not have the marking.

Series 1 and series 2 are very different hardware. Series 1 is much simpler than series 2, better suited for small networks.

Series 1 can be loaded with either the 802.15.4 firmware (XB24-A or XBP24-A) or proprietary Digimesh firmware (XB24-D or XBP24-D). XCTU can burn either firmware (802.15.4 or Digimesh) into series 1 hardware.

Series 2 hardware supports a full zigbee stack, with the ZB firmware set (XB24-Z7 XBP24-BZ7). Within the ZB set there are different versions of firmware that need to be loaded using XCTU depending on the module's intended role in the network and whether or not it is to use transparent or API mode. There is also an older firmware set they called znet_2.5, and that is still available in distribution and for backward compatibility. Znet2.5 is less capable, less compatible. If you have series 2 devices, you have to use XCTU to assure that all devices in your network have compatible versions of ZB or znet 2.5 firmware, and that each node has the appropriate firmware for its role in the network.