Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stacking boards on BOE Bot? — Parallax Forums

Stacking boards on BOE Bot?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-03-19 22:36 in Robotics
I got to say im really thinking about getting a boe bot and a bunch of hobby king micro servos for pan and tilt, instead of a sting ray, im still not sure though. I was looking at how the BOE Bot is constructed, I was wondering if parallax sells some hardware that will allow me to stack multiple boards, with boe dimensions. Im not exactly sure how the boe bots stand offs works but I was hoping I could just buy a second set of stand offs and screw them in to the first set? Would a boe bot be able to a carry around 3 - 5 lbs? Im pretty sure I can expand the chassis using erector pieces fairly easy.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-03 20:43
    Parallax doesn't carry hardware for stacking multiple boards, but you could buy spacers or standoffs and screws at your local hardware store. You have to keep the weight low (to the ground and low in amount) because the wheelbase is small. Too much weight too high and the whole thing will tilt over. It would help to keep most of the weight behind the wheel axles (between there and the ball pivot). 3-5 lbs seems like too much weight, but, if you're careful about its distribution and don't mind keeping the speed low, you might get it to work.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-04 10:33
    Knowing a little of what your goal is I think you would be better off with the Stingray. I love my Boe Bot but I would not want to put that much weight on it for any length of time.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-02-04 11:12
    Do a search on the Parallax store website for spacer. In the results you will find both spacers (no threads) and standoffs (threaded #4-40). These can be used to stack boards on the BOE-Bot. Spacers used with longer screws will be the easiest to employ, since the screws can then thread into the BOE-Bot's current standoffs.

-Phil
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-04 11:49
    Thanks for the info Phil. That's what happens when I don't actually look, but rely on memories of situations past.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-02-04 13:45
    Ace hardware has nylon spacers

And McMaster Carr you can get a pack for a couple of dollars
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-04 15:32
    McMaster Carr you can get a pack for a couple of dollars

Last time I spent a couple dollars there it cost me over ten to ship!!!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-02-04 15:42
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Last time I spent a couple dollars there it cost me over ten to ship!!!

Wow. Wish I could get out of there for a couple of bucks! McMaster Carr is my real candy store, if one exists.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-02-04 20:16
    rwgast, since you're relatively new around here, you must have missed the ultimate example of stacking multiple boards on a BOE-Bot.

Humanoido took board stacking on a BOE-Bot to the extreme with his "Smartest BOE-Bot".

The "standoff" mentioned by others are available from Parallax, SparkFun and lots of other suppliers.

I have a BOE-Bot which I really like but there are less expensive ways to get a basic robot up and running. I tried my hand at making a really inexpensive/cheap robot this last weekend. I thought it turned out okay and I'll post some pictures and video (hopefully of it doing a figure 8) tomorrow. I think all the parts (including QuickStart board) add up to just over $50 (thanks to erco's ebay finds). I'll include a BOM when I post details tomorrow.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2013-02-08 04:11
    Here's the latest updated blog site about the Smartest BoeBot, with larger photos. A new Smartest Boebot version is in the works that does not need a board stack. It uses fewer Propeller chips and has more thinking processors. With the new BoeBot wide wheel chassis assembly, it has better traction and stability.

http://humanoidolabs.blogspot.tw/2010/07/smartest-boebot.html
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2013-02-08 19:15
    I have recently updated this blog site again to show more data and information for a new machine design, including a view of a board stacking alternative with PPPBs and a way to decrease the number of chips and increase the number of processors. Additional batteries can fit in the hollow center, eliminating the tether, and thus making a fully autonomous entity. This is possible with the low power mods made to the PPPBs used. This remains a work in progress.

Smartest BoeBot
    Proto Board Reduce Power Consumption
    LED Power Testing
  • suspect_devicesuspect_device Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-19 22:36
    You may want to look into the BOE-Shield. It uses an Arduino microcontroller, and is capable of stacking other shields on it. Here is a picture of my BOE sheild pulling double duty on a StingRay.
    IMG_20130320_013424_zpscb3e1937.jpg