Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Ping))) outdoors — Parallax Forums

Using Ping))) outdoors

OldTechOldTech Posts: 1
edited 2013-02-04 08:52 in Accessories
I realize that the Ping))) isn't supposed to be used outdoors, but is there a way to make it so? I'm looking to build an auto obstacle sensor/alert system, which, of course, would need to operate in extreme weather conditions (70 MPH+ wind, 0-125 degrees F, long exposure to UV (sunlight), etc).
Is there another Ping)))-type product that would be able to withstand those conditions?

Dave M

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-03 19:40
    It's more than just the operating conditions. An ultrasonic rangefinder is a poor choice for obstacle detection at significant speeds and widely varying temperatures since the Doppler effect would kick in at speed and the speed of sound varies with air temperature. In addition, road noise would cause quite a bit of ultrasonic noise and would interfere with reception of the return echo. I wouldn't trust an ultrasonic system for something as important (need for fail-safe operation) at this. Most vehicle systems use something like an X-band sensor or an (extremely sophisticated) optical system. Parallax's X-Band sensor is for motion detection and wouldn't work well for this. You'd need a narrow beam and the device would have to compensate for motion along the axis of the beam.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2013-02-04 08:52
    Dave,

You might find something suitable at Maxbotix.
    Weather is not always going to be that bad!

Oh--welcome to the forums!