Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proform Treadmill Control — Parallax Forums

Proform Treadmill Control

knikulaknikula Posts: 26
edited 2014-12-01 08:42 in Robotics
hey guys... first post...

I just bought a Propeller PDB to learn about this stuff (few weeks back)... 1st Prop project

I have a couple Proform treadmills that the console units have died on, vintage 1998 and 2004, and have decided to put a Propeller to work driving them.
The MC2100 motor driver boards are functional, so I'm running the 20Hz 15-85% PWM signal right into them.

One of the treadmills has a wireless chest strap and receiver to read heart rate, so I removed that device, and connected it to the PDB.

I used: PWM Monitor from the Spin library to read that heart rate sensor
keyboard " " " " " check for user inputs such as speed increase/decrease, heart rate target increase/decrease,
a cog to calculate distance/time/adjust speed to optimize heart rate
a cog to run the serial terminal to display generated data such as average pace, total time elapsed, heart rate target, current speed
a cog to output PWM speed signal data to the treadmill.

I have a little issue with the heart rate receiver, sometimes it acts pretty squirrely (technical term) , but I am only feeding it 3.3v, and it is a 5v device. By squirelly, I mean that while sitting or standing still I get a decent HR reading, but it's often unreliable while running.
I'll feed it 5v now, put a 1K resistor on the output, and see if it acts differently. Maybe I'll walk on it during the super bowl. and see how well the 5v supply works

I have it set up to try to maintain a set heart rate by varying treadmill speed,and check every one minute to see if speed needs to be adjusted up or down. I calculate a avg heart rate for the minute to filter out some of the bad sensor behavior.

I was on it for an hour a couple days ago, and it worked pretty well, but last time it seemed to think I had some severe heart rhythm issues....(and I'm still living so there's that.....)

Anyway, this is a pretty cool design platform...looking forward to adding up/down incline adjustment, VGA support to eliminate the serial terminal device , and logging speed/HR/distance data to a laptop.

Also wouldn't mind trying to write an Android tablet bluetooth device support as well, but that would be a first for me as well, and there is a learning curve there too...

Comments

• knikulaknikula Posts: 26
    edited 2013-02-08 13:40
    I ran for an hour on the treadmill today, and then shot a short video of the system .. Heart rate controlled running is pretty sweet, easy way to avoid excessively high efforts...Still adding stuff to the general setup...I added manual up/down incline control, but I need to be able to report current incline of the deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwLWBQtRtQ
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-08 17:20
    Treadmill motors make GREAT windmill power sources!!!!
    edited 2013-02-09 09:05
    yup, they are a pretty neat source of parts..I'd like to pick up another treadmill, so I could use the motor to power my old Craftsman 6" lathe...
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-02-09 12:29
    I'd like to pick up another treadmill

I usually get mine for free on Craigslist. It's amazing how many people spend tons of money on them and then just give em away!!!!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-02-15 13:06
    @knikula: fabulous project. Two thumbs up from this runner and Parallax fan!
    edited 2013-03-29 23:47
    thanks, erco....just saw your comment just now...
    edited 2013-04-04 07:17
    Maybe you can help solve the "jet on a treadmill" debate that rages on... :)
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2013-04-04 07:31
    Nooooo! Please, please, please don't start THAT thread again!
    edited 2013-04-04 17:57
    But I don't see that the Mythbusters proved anything here... :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc
    edited 2013-04-04 21:57
    it must have been a classic thread...sorry that I missed it...on the project front, I picked up an ultrasonic distance measuring unit...so I might try to vary the treadmill speed based on the position of the runner on the belt. I've been jogging outside now that the roads are clear of ice and snow, so this project might take a back seat for awhile...
  • haddihaddi Posts: 2
    edited 2014-11-29 14:09
    hello
    i am working on a project which is related to treadmill pc based controlling. I just started working on it, I need help to understand how i can get the real time data using rj45 cable which is connected to pc I want to control the speed, slop of treadmill by giving commands from pc not the linex sofware which is in built in daum treadmill which is i am using if any body have any idea about this please help me out thanks in advance quick response will be highly appreciated.
    edited 2014-11-29 19:11
    sorry , no clue on that RJ45 interface... years back, I was using the ifit mode on the treadmill to send it audio signal commands from a pc based program thru a patch cord. Worked pretty well.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-12-01 08:42
    haddi, the RJ45 connector on the PC is an Ethernet connection. The RJ45 connector on the treadmill may or may not be used for Ethernet. They are small, inexpensive, and easy to get connectors so have been used for a variety of other uses. You will need to determine if it is Ethernet or something else before proceeding. Having a manual for the treadmill would be a great help. Do you have one?