Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Web server security — Parallax Forums

Web server security

WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
edited 2013-02-02 19:45 in Accessories
In another thread I posed a question that alluded to the security of our computers if we attach a Spinneret and publicize our IP address. The question may have been misunderstood.

For the past few days I've had a stable IP address and I've had my spinneret connected a lot of the time. Suddenly tonight, I noticed that the words "under", "top", and "Google", located on my webpage, under the jpg as it's hovered have been linked and cause redirection to Inkdata.com if clicked. I didn't didn't link those words. Could I be responsible for this having accepted an innocent download or does attaching a Spinneret and making our IP address public expose our computers to new security issues? As cool as the Spineret is, this could be a deal breaker if the server invites the fox to watch and change conditions within the hen house.

The problem seems limited to the desktop I used to for a download. The links do not appear when I access the website with my laptop.

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2013-02-02 05:54
    I think you are simply more aware of the everyday vulnerabilities connected to the Internet.

Most likely this is something downloaded to the PC. The only way the HTML loaded on the SD card can change is if you pull the card out, attach to a PC, and copy a file. Unless, the WebServer_5100.spin was changed.

Don't forget your web page links to other sites. If the other sites are compromised then so is your web app.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2013-02-02 06:32
    If it helps at all, I have a friend, that for a living his job is to find vulnerabilities in a system and purposefully try to bring them down. He normally gets paid to tell a company where the weaknesses are and ways that they can improve their system. Since he is a regular member to our local hacker space his attempt at a Spinneret was more in fun. His assessment on the Spinneret was like the game "whack a mole" ... everything he threw at it would cause it to come right back up as if nothing had gone wrong.

That said, other than the normal connections a PC has to the internet such as Mike said, there is little to no chance that the Spinneret itself can affect a PC unless code was specifically written that would be considered malicious in Spin or PASM and you yourself placed it on the Spinneret.
  • WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
    edited 2013-02-02 19:45
    Thanks for the discussion and the reassurance. I actually found the culprit and deleted it. As mentioned, it likely tagged itself onto what I thought was an innocent download.