Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ultrasonic sensor usage — Parallax Forums

Ultrasonic sensor usage

stefanbstefanb Posts: 4
edited 2013-01-30 03:55 in Accessories
HI,

I am working on a university project that aims to build a robot that work in high voltage environment. I currently have a Parallax Ping ultrasonic sensor and I plan to use one or more of those. However, I was told that ultrasonic sensors cannot operate in high voltage environments (such as power convertor halls). In my research I cannot found any evidence to prove this. Can anyone help me with this? Links or material that prove that this sensor works in high voltage environment.

Many thanks!!!!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-29 07:30
    I doubt you will find proof that the PING works in a high voltage environment mostly because it all depends on details that have nothing to do with the sensor itself. The PING is a +5V logic device that is sensitive (like any digital device) to surrounding electrical fields. Normally the surrounding fields are mostly weak and relatively low voltage. In any kind of high voltage or high electrical noise environment, the PING and anything it's connected to has to be shielded from the environment. In the case of the PING, the shield has to be able to pass ultrasonic sound while shielding the circuitry from electrical fields. The PING's transducers have an aluminum case with a metallic grill and this could be incorporated into the shield.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2013-01-29 07:39
    stefanb wrote: »
    However, I was told that ultrasonic sensors cannot operate in high voltage environments (such as power convertor halls). In my research I cannot found any evidence to prove this. Can anyone help me with this? Links or material that prove that this sensor works in high voltage environment.!

Why not ask the person who told you they don't work and ask them why? I would be interested in hearing what the reasons are and if they have any examples.

Sounds like testing ultrasonic sensors in a high voltage environment would be a good university project by itself...
  • stefanbstefanb Posts: 4
    edited 2013-01-29 07:52
    Thanks for your reply! I have shielded the motherboard of the robot, but not the sensors. Some companies make transparent or grill EMI shielding screens so that might work! :smile:
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2013-01-29 12:50
    High voltage discharges, arcs, sparks can generate considerable ultrasonic energy, which might be interpreted as echos or degrade the ping S/N. There are a lot of things in the environment that generate potentially interfering ultrasound. Defective florescent light or transformers. Metal against metal, rattling keys, pots and pans, hissing noises.
  • stefanbstefanb Posts: 4
    edited 2013-01-30 03:55
    Thanks for your reply. I plan to use a grill screen for the sensor, but I thought the ultrasonic waves won't have problems propagating in such environment. Hopefully it will work during testing.