Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax x-band motion sensor + Arduino Uno — Parallax Forums

Parallax x-band motion sensor + Arduino Uno

apocalypsapocalyps Posts: 2
edited 2014-01-19 16:06 in Accessories
Hi all!

I'm a complete newbie on electronics. However, I've bought an Arduino Uno and a X-band motion detector which I now want to connect. Has anyone here done that? I've have only found connection examples between this sensor and Arduino Nano. If anyone has a wire diagram that they could share with me I would be delighted. I have succesfully connected a PIR-sensor to the board, and I have written a code to use it as a trigger to my GoPro camera (via the WI-FI remote control). However, when connecting the X-band sensor nothing works :-(. I guess there is something about the output from the x-band sensor, that it gives a oscillating signal instead of a HIGH/LOW signal?? Anyone that have any information on this respect?

Cheers Martin

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-28 11:01
    Read the documentation for the X-band motion detector. The link to the documentation is on the product page in the webstore. The detector produces an oscillating signal (high-low-high-low) when motion is detected. There is sample code available for the Parallax Stamps and for the Propeller. You'll have to use those as models for your Arduino code or try to find examples on the Arduino support websites.

The X-band motion detector requires 4 connections. One to +5V. One to ground. One (EN) that you can leave unconnected if you want the detector to run whenever it has power or connected to a digital output that's LOW when you want the detector to turn off and HIGH when you want the detector to be on. One (OUT) output that cycles between HIGH and LOW when motion is detected and the frequency of this oscillation is related to the speed of the motion towards or away from the detector (see the documentation for details).
  • apocalypsapocalyps Posts: 2
    edited 2013-01-29 00:20
    Thanks for your help Mike,

I realized that it didn't work because my Arduino code included a "sleep mode". As soon as I discarded that part of the code, the sensor worked just fine.

Cheers Martin
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Read the documentation for the X-band motion detector. The link to the documentation is on the product page in the webstore. The detector produces an oscillating signal (high-low-high-low) when motion is detected. There is sample code available for the Parallax Stamps and for the Propeller. You'll have to use those as models for your Arduino code or try to find examples on the Arduino support websites.

The X-band motion detector requires 4 connections. One to +5V. One to ground. One (EN) that you can leave unconnected if you want the detector to run whenever it has power or connected to a digital output that's LOW when you want the detector to turn off and HIGH when you want the detector to be on. One (OUT) output that cycles between HIGH and LOW when motion is detected and the frequency of this oscillation is related to the speed of the motion towards or away from the detector (see the documentation for details).
  • ioakleyioakley Posts: 2
    edited 2014-01-19 16:06
    I am currently having the same problem. I also am brand new to electronics so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting the code on here or posting the link to where I could find the code.

Thanks