Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Several Questions — Parallax Forums

Several Questions

EviEvi Posts: 12
edited 2013-02-05 00:38 in Accessories
Just received PropScope and have the following questions:

1. Strange artifacts in waveforms. Tested with internal DAC and with external signal generator.

Sine.jpg
Saw.jpg

2. On the product page there is the following declaration: "4-bit DAC for generating NTSC and PAL signals". I do not found PAL signal, only NTSC one. So, the question is: Where is, or how to obtain PAL TV output? And is it possible to customize TV picture. Say, I want a color bars output.

3. ViewPort incompartibility. I see no reason but both ViewPort 4.1 and 4.62 refused to connect to PropSope. Although Identification passed OK. In the same time, both
PropellerTool 1.26 and 1.32 did it successfully. As I understand from the ViewPort messages, there is some problem with configuration acquire. ViewPort works fine with my custom Propeller Board.
ViewPort1.jpg
ViewPort2.jpg

4. Are there any F/W and PC application source codes available? Or this is not open-source product?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad
793 x 646 - 185K
790 x 644 - 182K
815 x 723 - 245K
813 x 728 - 230K

Comments

• rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 458
    edited 2013-01-30 21:44
    Evi wrote: »
    Just received PropScope and have the following questions:

4. Are there any F/W and PC application source codes available? Or this is not open-source product?

The propscope FW and PC application are not opensource, but there is an effort on-going to provide opensource FW and application (just started, so might take awhile) at prollelerpowered.com (http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0)

Regarding the PAL signal, you will need a TV driver that output PAL signal, most drivers available only support NTSC. Also most TVs sold today support both NTSC and PAL.
  • EviEvi Posts: 12
    edited 2013-01-30 21:54
    rosco_pc wrote: »
    Regarding the PAL signal, you will need a TV driver that output PAL signal, most drivers available only support NTSC. Also most TVs sold today support both NTSC and PAL.
    Thanks for answer, rosco,

I need PAL not for use with TV, so for me it is mandatory.
    So, how can I obtain "TV driver that output PAL signal"?

I guess, if this feature was stated out in the product specification on the product page, it must be present in the product release.
  • rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 458
    edited 2013-01-31 01:12
    Evi wrote: »
    I need PAL not for use with TV, so for me it is mandatory.
    So, how can I obtain "TV driver that output PAL signal"?

I think that you'll need to write your own FW for this

Here is an example driver: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/100191-Fellow-PAL-Prop-ers-rejoice-%29?highlight=pal60

There are several more threads in the propeller forum
    edited 2013-01-31 01:30
    rosco_pc wrote: »
    I think that you'll need to write your own FW for this
    It is obvious at the moment, but I payd my money for the final product with definite declared specifications.
    2013-01-31_134205.jpg
    532 x 593 - 98K
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-01-31 07:17
    I'm involved in the "OpenScope" project and although I looked into the firmware to see if I could write something I decided to wait until another person writes some open source firmware then make a C# client for the PC. At the current pace of the project I say your best bet is to contact Hanno http://hannoware.com/about.php and see if he can send you complied firmware with a PAL driver in it.
    edited 2013-01-31 07:53
    blittled wrote: »
    I'm involved in the "OpenScope" project and although I looked into the firmware to see if I could write something I decided to wait until another person writes some open source firmware then make a C# client for the PC. At the current pace of the project I say your best bet is to contact Hanno http://hannoware.com/about.php and see if he can send you complied firmware with a PAL driver in it.
    As I seen, Hanno is a rather frequent visitor here, and I think my questions are interesting not for Hanno personally.

OpenScope is only on the beginning of the way...
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-01-31 13:04
    Hi Evi,
    I'm not sure why you're seeing an artifact with the function generator- I haven't seen it before.
    Attached is the PAL version of the PropScope firmware. Rename it to "propscope.binary" and place it in your "PropScope/firmware" directory.
    Here are the parameters/code I use for driving the Pal/Ntsc- should be easy for you/someone to output graphics from the PropScope.

longmove(@tv_status, @tv_params, tv_count)
    tv_pins := (basepin & $38) << 1 | (basepin & 4 == 4) & %0101
    tv_screen := @screen
    tv_colors := @colors

result := tv.start(@tv_status)

tv_params long 0 'status
    long 1 'enable
    long 0 'pins
    long %10011 'mode tccip = tile,chroma,interlace,ntsc/pal 10010 for ntsc
    long 0 'screen
    long 0 'colors
    long cols 'hc
    long rows 'vc
    long 4 'hx
    long 1 'vx
    long 0 'ho
    long 0 'vo
    long 0 'broadcast
    long 0 'auralcog
    Hanno
    edited 2013-01-31 19:22
    Thanks a lot, Hanno!
    edited 2013-02-02 22:27
    One more:

Your ViewPort v4.6.2 is fully up to date. Enjoy!
    Your ViewPort v4.6.3 is fully up to date. Enjoy!
    Your ViewPort v4.6.4 is fully up to date. Enjoy!
    Your ViewPort v4.7.8 is fully up to date. Enjoy!

Strange, is not it?
    So, what is the latest actual version?
    edited 2013-02-03 11:58
    Hi Evi,
    Latest is 4.7.8 available here:
    http://onerobot.org/forums/topic/latest-beta-of-viewport/
    I've fixed the "update" feature- thanks for pointing that out!

I'll add a feature to ViewPort to let you configure it so it can program the PropScope. Our thinking was most users would have the PropScope plugged in to do Oscilloscope/Function Generator/LSA/Spectrum while they were working on their Propeller projects. We therefore gave it a different USB name and "hid" it from ViewPort/Propeller Tool.
    Hanno
    edited 2013-02-03 12:15
    Thanks a lot Hanno. BTW I've purchased you wonderful program.
    edited 2013-02-03 21:18
    Is it possible to set 2 MBod serial speed in ViewPort 4.7.8?
    edited 2013-02-03 21:59
    Thanks Evi! In recent versions I've disabled the 2mbps datarate as it was causing too many problems. There seemed to be some USB driver issue with some computers that would cause intermittent problems. The guys at FTDI were highly surprised that it worked as well as it did without hardware flow control. I haven't heard of any issues with 1mbps- so that's the default. I'm updating documentation to reflect this.
    Hanno
    edited 2013-02-03 22:08
    For me, previous versions of ViewPort with 2Mbod works fine with my custom FTDI-based adapter.
    edited 2013-02-04 21:16
    ViewPort 4.7.8 trying to compile F32_13.spin, got an error "Wrong input string format"
    2013-02-05_091428.jpg

Any attempt to compile any Float*.spin file from PropTools\Lib gave the same error.

With ViewPort 4.6.8 compilation OK, no errors.
    No idea :-((
    349 x 117 - 14K
    edited 2013-02-05 00:34
    Can you share the offending program?
    I tried typing in the code you shared, but it worked for me.
    It's late here, I'll look at the float files tomorrow...
    Hanno
    234 x 244 - 6K
    edited 2013-02-05 00:36
    Hanno wrote: »
    Hi,
    I started up 12Blocks, set the library to "DemoBoard", left the port at "Auto" and dragged together this program to blink the led:
    propboe.png

Hanno
    ???
    edited 2013-02-05 00:38
    Sorry, posted on wrong thread :) I was able to edit my text, but can't remove the attachment. Must get sleep :)