Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S1 to S2, What would it take? — Parallax Forums

S1 to S2, What would it take?

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2013-01-25 13:59 in Robotics
So, After both reading and posting in this thread, http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/145595-Which-parallax-bot-should-I-purchase

rather than hijacking the thread I started a new one to find out what exactly it would take to turn an S1 in to an S2? My 2 grandkids each have an S1. I have a QS board, a few Propeller chips, a Prop BOE and many other components. Is this a feasable idea or would disassembling an S1 "wreck" it?

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-01-25 13:28
    I think this depends on what you consider a S2?

I'd imagine it would not be too hard to use a Propeller with the components of a S1 to have a Propeller controlled robot, but to have the robot able to use the S2 software would require a lot of additional hardware. I just don't think such an undertaking would be practical.

If you look through the S2's schematic you'll see theirs a lot going on with the S2. An important feature of the S2 is its encoders and I doubt it would be easy to add encoders after the fact to the S1's motors (I'm not sure about this).
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-01-25 13:59
    Considering that I just got a brand new S2 off Ebay from Simplytronics for $85 shipped, I wouldn't bother hacking up an S1 ans PropBoE...