Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Operation Roomba Recycle! — Parallax Forums

Operation Roomba Recycle!

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-01-26 14:48 in Robotics
Ok so a few months ago I picked up an old Roomba 4210 Discovery & Accessory's for $10. The owner said it wouldn't run for more than a few minutes. I took it home, checked in to the Roomba manuals and found a button combination to reset the power system, charged the thing for 16 hours and the battery worked fine afterwards. The Roomba just sat for a while, because its brush system is bad for the hardwood floor at my house.

I finally decided to tear it down and turn it in to a custom robot, So ive basically stripped it down to the chassis, gear motors, encoders, and battery. I plan to build it back up using a propeller and custom electronics. The first thing was putting a new H-Bridge in it, I just finished making an STM L6205 based board for it and wanted to make sure it worked, so I just plugged in an Arduino that was already programmed to do open loop PWM stuff to see how it would run.

The next step is to stabilize the chassis and add a platform. I think I may put a scoop in the hole in the center, that way it can push things like a sumo, and then add a wooden platform above to mount all the electronics. I was even thinking about maybe putting an upside down trashcan on top of the platform that can rotate 360 degrees. What do you guys think? Im hoping to get a sting ray next month so this is basically a bot to goof around with and have fun!! Any ideas are welcome! This little guy is pretty strong I managed to stack a step master and a bunch of pool chemicals on it and it still drove just fine, that experiment was conducted using a 9.6v battery, not even the full 15v roomba pack.

Comments

• rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-23 14:43
    Reserved Space
    edited 2013-01-23 14:44
    Reserved for Project
    edited 2013-01-23 14:44
    Reserved for future work
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-23 15:36
    It looks like you finally got your chassis!!!! Good start. Not sure about the trash can idea but I like the scoop concept.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-01-23 15:43
    It reminds me of a Cylon fighter.
    The Roomba just sat for a while, because its brush system is bad for the hardwood floor at my house.

Why do you think the brush system is bad for your hardwood floors?
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-23 16:06
    W9GFO wrote: »
    It reminds me of a Cylon fighter.

Yea, It kind of does!!!!
    edited 2013-01-23 16:36
    Its the type of hardwood I have, you cant use brushed vacuum cleaners on it, it leaves scuffs or something.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-01-23 17:21
    Its the type of hardwood I have, you cant use brushed vacuum cleaners on it, it leaves scuffs or something.

Okay... well I've never heard of a hardwood floor that would be damaged by a Roomba so I was hoping to learn what kind of floor it is.
    edited 2013-01-26 14:48
    Im sorry Im not the owner and I dont know what kind of flooring it is. Ill try to find out. I will level with you though I dont think the brushes will scratch the lamination, it doesn't sound logical what so ever. If a roombas brushes would scratch the floor im sure all the dogs paws would really wreak havoc. I could be wrong though I will try to find out.

I was thinking since this chassis can move some weight and could definately carry a laptop, maybe it would be cool to throw the eddy firmware on it!