Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uOLED and Propeller Board — Parallax Forums

uOLED and Propeller Board

NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
edited 2013-01-27 06:45 in Robotics
Hi, it's NikosG again,

My latest order from Parallax was a μOLED-128-G1 .This module helped me to visualize the results from a solar path algorithm written with spin code.
This is only a small part from a much bigger project that I have been working for a long time. Although I haven’t finished the algorithm (I have a lot of things to fix and much more to make) I decided to post this thread because I’m very impressive with the optical result of this small LCD screen.

[video=youtube_share;xLz6DhIbwNU]

The owners of a 3d printer can also print a useful holder for this screen I have published a 3d model of the screen’s holder,that you can change according your needs. You can use this holder in conjunction with many propeller boards.
My personal opinion is that μOLED with a Propeller board is an extremely powerful combination!

Cheers Nikos.
989 x 1560 - 300K
1024 x 768 - 77K
1024 x 768 - 47K

Comments

• ErlendErlend Posts: 612
    edited 2013-01-24 00:31
    Hi,

I ordered the μOLED the other day, it's shipping now. Did you experience any problems interfacing to it? Googling it I got several hits where people simply couldn't get the thing running. My use is quite ridiculous; as a robot eye with a number of 'looking modes'.

Erlend
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2013-01-24 01:58
    I don't think it is ridiculous. My mini humanoid robot, Matanya, eyes are made from uOLED too.
  • ErlendErlend Posts: 612
    edited 2013-01-24 06:51
    MacTuxLin wrote: »
    I don't think it is ridiculous. My mini humanoid robot, Matanya, eyes are made from uOLED too.

Hahaha - very nice! 'My' eye will sit in a coffeebot, a coffee machine with a distinct personality.

Erlend
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2013-01-24 11:31
    Erlend wrote: »
    Hi,

I ordered the μOLED the other day, it's shipping now. Did you experience any problems interfacing to it? Googling it I got several hits where people simply couldn't get the thing running. My use is quite ridiculous; as a robot eye with a number of 'looking modes'.

Erlend

I followed the interface that was given by Steve McManus on µOLED-128-GMD1 Object (without the 10 resistor), and I had no problem.
    As you can see you will need five wires to connect the top pins of the lcd screen with Propeller's board 5v, P7,P6,P5, and GND.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=98832&d=1359067590
    The only problem is that mOLED pack has only 4 wires. You must find another one.
    Personaly I made by my own a 5-wire cable using a tool from Hansen Hobbies
    1024 x 1145 - 158K
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2013-01-24 11:53
    MacTuxLin wrote: »

Amazing robot!!!
    Its expression is very attractive to the Kids!!!
    I wish I had one when I was 10 ! (to tell the truth even now I could'nt refuse a present like this from my parents :)
    I wonder what would be the result if we could use the mOLED representing the full face expressions (with mouth, ears, nose etc,) in conjunction with a Talking Propeller object and the veho360 speaker or the Emic 2 Text-to-Speech Module!!!!!
  • MacTuxLinMacTuxLin Posts: 821
    edited 2013-01-27 06:45
    NikosG wrote: »
    Amazing robot!!!
    Its expression is very attractive to the Kids!!!
    I wish I had one when I was 10 ! (to tell the truth even now I could'nt refuse a present like this from my parents :)
    I wonder what would be the result if we could use the mOLED representing the full face expressions (with mouth, ears, nose etc,) in conjunction with a Talking Propeller object and the veho360 speaker or the Emic 2 Text-to-Speech Module!!!!!

:smile: Thank you. Yes, had very good response from kids especially when presented in Japan during the iREX 2011 and likewise during Parallax Expo 2012. Now, I'm working on a new design....