Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smart Card Intergration — Parallax Forums

Smart Card Intergration

mushabamushaba Posts: 6
edited 2013-02-07 18:36 in General Discussion
Hello
My name is Fotis and this is my first post on this forum!

I need for one project of mine to use a smart card.I saw on Parallax website the Smart Card Reader 32320.In the note says that example codes are only for BasicStamp and Propeller P8X32A.

Can i use this device with AVR μC?Has anyone used it with an AVR?I've never used BasicStamp and its hard for me to change the "plan" from AVR architecture.

Is it possible?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-22 07:46
    Welcome to the forum. You should be able to use the Smart Card Reader with almost any microcontroller, but we can't help you with the programming. The various smart cards use standard signals and protocols. For example, the IS24C16A contains a 24C16A EEPROM which is a standard I2C protocol EEPROM often used with microcontrollers. You should be able to find code on the AVR support website for this.
  • mushabamushaba Posts: 6
    edited 2013-01-22 08:17
    Thanks a lot Mike for your reply.I've used I2C with lots of my projects but never with a smartcard...
    edited 2013-01-29 16:09
    Hello again!

Today i received the Parallax Smart Card Reader (32320) and 5 IS24C16A Smart Cards.

My question is what are the pins of the IS24C16A Smart Card,the manufacter pdf does not makes it clear....Anybody knows if they are the same as the IS23SC4442 ??

I made a mistake and i did not buy the IS23SC4442 that has extra security and the IS24C16A can be read by anyone....

My second question is about the Smart Card Reader and how to use the WriteProtect Pin that it is not on the assigned pins on the reader..?

Any thoughts?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-01-30 11:09
    You should be able to use Google to find that information. As for the connections to the board we sell, they are listed in the documentation. Of course you could use that information with a continuity tester to find the answers you seek. :smile:
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-30 11:31
    The pin (on the reader) marked I/O is referred to as SDA in the I2C protocol. The pin marked CLK is referred to as SCL in the I2C protocol. The pin marked CD is just a smart card detect pin. Look at the documentation for the reader for details. The 24C16A WP pin is not available on the reader. RST (reset) is not used with the IS24C16A.

If you look at the datasheets for the other smart cards, you'll see that the IS23SC4442 can also be read by anyone. It can only be written if the security code is provided.
    edited 2013-01-30 13:04
    You should be able to use Google to find that information. As for the connections to the board we sell, they are listed in the documentation. Of course you could use that information with a continuity tester to find the answers you seek. :smile:

Excuse me Sir but the documentation (about the card) does not have the pinout.About the reader,it is also don't mention anywhere about the other pins...And i take the continuity tester advise as humor,i'm not that ammateur...
    edited 2013-01-30 13:06
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The pin (on the reader) marked I/O is referred to as SDA in the I2C protocol. The pin marked CLK is referred to as SCL in the I2C protocol. The pin marked CD is just a smart card detect pin. Look at the documentation for the reader for details. The 24C16A WP pin is not available on the reader. RST (reset) is not used with the IS24C16A.

If you look at the datasheets for the other smart cards, you'll see that the IS23SC4442 can also be read by anyone. It can only be written if the security code is provided.

Mike i do understand the pinout and i really did not have in mind that the IS23SC4442 can be read by anyone.Ofcoarse my pusrpose is to keep logg in the card so the write protection code could be very usefull to me..

Thanks for the reply!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-01-30 16:01
    I'm sorry, what I meant was that if you could not find the data on the standard for connections, knowing the connections to the board you could use a contiunity tester to match those connections to the contacts for the card. It was not meant in humor but as a valid way to trace the connections. I apologize if you did not find that helpful. It was something I might have tried.
    edited 2013-02-07 18:36
    Greetings from beautiful Greece for once again!

I found this topic in this forum about the smart card pinout.

I'm kind of confused and here is why:

As you can see in the photo below theese are the pins of the reader
    66964024.jpg

and in this photo is the pinout of the card
    card3t.jpg

There is no pinout about the IS24C16A anywhere,the manufacture pdf has only the IC pinout of this eeprom.

My question is shouldn't the center "square" pin of the card be attached to the GND pin as shown in the IS23SC4442 pinout????

I'm afraid that a wrong pinout can damage the card,what is the correct pinout?

EDIT:

Well,thats what i call BAD LUCK!!!!I
    It drove me nuts but i found a manufacture fail in one of my five cards i bought from mouser,the chip is attached in another shape and the card is useless.......

wrongcard.jpg

Im so happy that this is cleared out,please excuse me for the post
    937 x 1125 - 72K
    1024 x 409 - 32K
    1024 x 768 - 33K