Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
any one tried to add rfid to kwikset smartcode deadbolt? — Parallax Forums

any one tried to add rfid to kwikset smartcode deadbolt?

twistedangelxtwistedangelx Posts: 1
edited 2013-01-22 10:10 in Accessories
i was recently given this deadbolt http://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-90915SMTCP-SmartCode-Cylinder-Featuring/dp/B001TAO4IY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358668586&sr=8-1&keywords=smartcode and have been trying to find any tips or guidance on adding rfid capabilities to it... i've only found examples of older kwikset deadbolt models such as the powerbolt 1000 where there were solder pads for open and close but nothing for this newer model... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-20 14:53
    It doesn't look like there are any provisions for anything external to the lock. You might be able to hack it by opening up the mechanism and getting access to the pushbutton area and the control switches on the inside side. Reed relays would act like button presses and a microcontroller like the Stamp could handle the RFID reader, tag recognition, and lock operation. I've not been able to find an on-line copy of the instructions for the lock, so I couldn't advise you further. Kwikset's website doesn't seem to be operating properly.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-01-22 10:10
    I think the thing here is that Kwikset (like other electronic lock makers) is wanting to steer you to a higher priced solution for custom entry control. This is a consumer product, not a pro product. The pro ones installed by the specialty locksmiths are more expensive and have more means for automation. You might not be able to buy them as readily if you're not a licensed locksmith, though. From what I understand the issue is more of support. Your best bet might be to find an older or used lockset that has the features you want. Call around at some locksmiths to see if they have any returns or demos.