Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using an infra-red switch as a trigger to play a sound file on a PC — Parallax Forums

Using an infra-red switch as a trigger to play a sound file on a PC

mneuertmneuert Posts: 9
edited 2013-01-21 04:48 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello all,

First, I'd like to thank everyone who contributes their time to helping me in advance.

As described in the title, I'm looking to make a device that, when triggered, will cause a PC to play a sound file through its speakers. For the trigger, I was thinking of using an infra-red beam, but any other type of motion sensor should do. The motion sensor should, however, be able to fit on a perch for a small bird (thinking of using a bird landing on a perch as the trigger).

All I really want to know is if this project is feasible using a propeller proto board (as well as the appropriate electronics, sensors, etc.). I've done some skimming through the projects and educational forums, and it seems like something like that would be possible, I just haven't found a straight answer yet, which is something I'd like to know before I go ahead and purchase one (who am I kidding, I'll probably end up getting one anyhow ;).

Also, I would be very grateful if someone can direct me to any resources (e.g. past forum posts, project outlines, etc.) that do the same/a similar project as I am proposing. I am conducting my own search, as well as wading through all the (great) introductory literature provided by Parallax, but I am somewhat new to micro-controllers, and there's a lot to wade through up front, so any help directing my search would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

-MN

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-01-19 12:06
    Easily done with the proto board. There are several sensors that would allow you to do what you want. Take a look at the PIR, Ping, and Sharp IR sensors. It could also be done with an IR led on one side of the perch and a phototransistor on the other side. For resources start by looking at the sample programs with those sensors.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-19 16:33
    You could also pick up a cheap USB camera that you could setup to play a sound in the software. Of course, that would be taking the easy route!!!!
  • mneuertmneuert Posts: 9
    edited 2013-01-21 04:48
    Much thanks!
  • mneuertmneuert Posts: 9
    edited 2013-01-21 04:48
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    You could also pick up a cheap USB camera that you could setup to play a sound in the software. Of course, that would be taking the easy route!!!!

:P thanks for the suggestion, but yeah, I want to learn some electronics!