Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to detect sweat levels, humidity sensor maybe? — Parallax Forums

How to detect sweat levels, humidity sensor maybe?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-01-26 01:35 in Accessories
ould a humidity sensor be strapped on the body to detect how much is sweating, or would direct contact to water like this just give faulty readings? Maybe im barking up the wrong tree, if so anyone knoww of a sensor i could use to try and measure prespiration?

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-17 21:48
    You might find what you are looking for here: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/sensors-transducers/humidity-moisture/1966708?k=Sensors,%20Transducers

I don't think a humidity sensor would give very accurate readings for this type of use.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-01-17 22:26
    You might be able to measure the resistance of the skin surface, and use that to determine sweat levels.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-17 23:24
    Well I was hoping maybe you could stick a humidity sensor next to the skin, and somehow correlate its value in to a meaningful measurement for sweat. But what i got to thinking about ot what happens if theres enough sweat to saturate the sensor, obviously it will give a max reading but will that break it?

thank ncc, id acually only looked at the parallax offerings. In this case money isnt a huge issue within reason (ie probably not over 60 bucks). What is an issue is spending money on something that doesnt work. I thought a 9 dollar parallax sensor may be a good starting point for tests, to see if forking real money over is worth it.

SRLM, yes testing resistance may be the best way. It wont give a highly accurate reading but it should give a fairly ball park figure which may be good enough with other sensor data taken in to consideration.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-01-18 04:04
    Skin conductance is generally used to measure emotional responses, using suitable electrodes. The same techniques could be used.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-18 09:25
    People's sweat level's vary drastically, which will confound any attempt at standard calibration. You might be able to make some relative measurements to confirm exertion, but a heavy sweater will saturate a sensor and peg your sweat-ometer pretty quickly.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-01-18 09:41
    I think a humidity sensor could work if properly positioned. What I envision is a square bandage with adhesive around all four edges and a Gore-Tex membrane in place of the gauze pad. On the non-skin side of the Gore-Tex would be a vented bubble containing a humidity sensor. Sweat from the skin would diffuse through the Gore-Tex as water vapor and mix with the air in the bubble. The humidity inside the bubble would be a function of the inward diffusion rate through the Gore-Tex and the outward diffusion rate through the vent.

-Phil
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2013-01-18 10:22
    What about a simple galvanic sensor approach using the body as a wheat-stone-bridge? .... alternatively a more modern approach would be to use TWO humidity sensors differentially to one another at different locations on the body. One location less likely to sweat, the other location more likely to sweat. Under 'normal' relaxed conditions, both sensors would have close to the same reading. Under distress, they would show a considerable difference to one another.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2013-01-26 01:35
    This reminds me of an old diagnosis method used for cystic fibrosis : the sweat test (now a genetic test is used).

Perhaps google for this test may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweat_test

Such google search shows that the quantity and composition of sweat may vary widely , in physiology and pathology.

BTW : Bioingeneers have designed a lot of quick diagnostic tests in past years , is it necessary to add more ?