Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about RFID cards — Parallax Forums

Question about RFID cards

4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
edited 2013-01-27 15:18 in Accessories
I hope this is in the right forum but I just received an order of a number of RFID cards. Both read only and RW. My question is this. There are no markings on any of the cards to indicate what type they are. Other then trying to read them from the read only module how do I tell the difference between them?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-17 19:17
    If there are no markings on the cards, the only way you can figure out what they are is to try them. There should be some code stamped into the card somewhere that you can ask the manufacturer about.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2013-01-17 20:00
    I was hoping there was a useful difference in weight, size, shade of white, etc between the different cards. Not like Parallax to put both types of cards into a box with no visible difference between them. Looks like I'm going to be setting up a card reader tonight to figure out which cards are what.
    edited 2013-01-17 20:49
    Cards are sorted and marked with a sharpie :-)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-01-23 10:59
    4x5n wrote: »
    I was hoping there was a useful difference in weight, size, shade of white, etc between the different cards. Not like Parallax to put both types of cards into a box with no visible difference between them. Looks like I'm going to be setting up a card reader tonight to figure out which cards are what.

Most customers prefer these to be unmarked as they're used in secure systems and often put through special printers which use standard blank white tags.
    edited 2013-01-24 20:34
    Most customers prefer these to be unmarked as they're used in secure systems and often put through special printers which use standard blank white tags.

That makes sense for the lack of markings on the card. You may want to explain to your shipping dept that when putting multiple different types of cards in a single box that a piece of paper and a rubber band would make things easier. :smile:

In the end I have to admit it was kind of fun to write the spin code to use the RW module to first try to read the card as RW and if that fails then the Read only and display the card #.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-01-27 15:18
    4x5n wrote: »
    You may want to explain to your shipping dept that when putting multiple different types of cards in a single box that a piece of paper and a rubber band would make things easier. :smile:

Perhaps they're just trying to appeal to your inner experimenter. :innocent: