Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
AC motor control — Parallax Forums

AC motor control

alnajjar1alnajjar1 Posts: 110
edited 2013-01-17 22:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have an industrial high speed space fan mounted on a stand with on/off switch. I would like to control the speed of the fan using a BS2. I haven't seen anything on the Parallax site or any other non-industrial websites. What I need is a reasonably smooth speed control (no need for reverse direction) with the appropriate protection for the stamp. I wish there was something like the HB-25!

any help?

thanks,

Al

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-17 09:38
    One simple solution is to get a variable speed control from your local hardware store and a standard servo motor and connect the two mechanically so the servo turns the knob on the speed control. I've seen a few speed controls complete with a case, but you could use a standard double outlet box instead and mount a socket next to the speed control. You can usually buy a 3-wire plug and cord with wire ends or cannibalize an extension cord for the plug and cord. Make sure the speed control is designed for use with a small motor and not just for use as a light dimmer.
  • alnajjar1alnajjar1 Posts: 110
    edited 2013-01-17 10:22
    That's a brilliant solution!!! many thanks Mike.
  • bluejaybluejay Posts: 131
    edited 2013-01-17 22:45
    alnajjar1 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have an industrial high speed space fan mounted on a stand with on/off switch. I would like to control the speed of the fan using a BS2. I haven't seen anything on the Parallax site or any other non-industrial websites. What I need is a reasonably smooth speed control (no need for reverse direction) with the appropriate protection for the stamp. I wish there was something like the HB-25!

any help?

thanks,

Al