Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial Communication Issue — Parallax Forums

Serial Communication Issue

kperlettikperletti Posts: 5
edited 2013-01-11 20:53 in BASIC Stamp
When trying to run my first program on Basic stamp 2, I get error message: "no basic stamps found".

After trying to identify the Basic stamp 2 from the editor the response is: feedback = "yes", echo = "yes".
Cable used is a USB to serial and FIFO buffer has been disabled on the COM port.

Also, when the 9-Volt is unplugged from the Basic stamp 2 the response when identifying the device is the same.

I'm not sure what could be wrong with the connection.

Any ideas is appreciated.

Comments

• CapdiamontCapdiamont Posts: 218
    edited 2013-01-11 12:12
    IS the BS2 plugged in to the board correctly?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-11 12:14
    There are hundreds of usb/serial adapters, not all work. Search the forum for your type and see if others have used it successfully.

FTDI-based adapters work well, among several others.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-11 12:20
    Regarding the battery ... The Stamp has to be operating for it to be recognized by the PC. It needs power for this. feedback= and echo= are simple checks on the serial cable connection (or USB to serial adapter). These will work if there's no power to the Stamp.
  • kperlettikperletti Posts: 5
    edited 2013-01-11 20:11
    I'm using Belkin f5u409 for USB-to-Serial connection.

I've downloaded the latest Editor software version and drivers from Parallax.
  • kperlettikperletti Posts: 5
    edited 2013-01-11 20:53
    Issue seems to be with Belkin usb-to-serial cable. I checked other forums and found that it is incompatible.

I'm able to use the BASIC stamp for now from a direct serial connection on my desktop PC.

I guess I'll need to get another usb-to-serial cable if I want to use with my laptop...