Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homemade Fusion Reactor — Parallax Forums

Homemade Fusion Reactor

TMAC1TMAC1 Posts: 24
edited 2013-01-22 11:20 in Robotics
My current pet project is building a Farnsworth fusion reactor (a.k.a. "Fusor") for expiremental uses (emits high levels of UV light, low levels of soft x-rays, and low levels of neutrons). It is different from a nuclear fission reactor in the fact that, instead of splitting the atoms, it smashes them together. The idea is in fact quite simple, use a HV Transformer with the + end connected to the internal wire grid, and the - end connected to the walls of the metal vacuum sphere to accelerate the ions into the center of the grid, as shown in my attached schematics.
1024 x 576 - 66K
924 x 542 - 194K

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-01-10 06:02
    What will be your source of ions and how will you know if it works?
  • TMAC1TMAC1 Posts: 24
    edited 2013-01-10 17:10
    The residual air in the vacuum chamber to start off, then deuterium. I'll know if I achieve fusion by a tiny, star-like ball of plasma forming inside the inner reactor grid.
  • wes3066wes3066 Posts: 6
    edited 2013-01-11 14:52
    it is a good thing the radiation is emitted isotropically so you won't need heavy lead shielding.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-01-11 16:25
    I think these devices mange about 10^3 neutrons/sec or so, pretty safe. Lead shielding won't stop neutrons BTW.
    edited 2013-01-12 06:08
    Yeah, that's why I prefer Fusion over Fission, much safer. Not to mention, the fuels are much easier to get. One possible fuel is boron-11 (aka borax, laundry detergent).
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-12 09:38
    I don't care if it works or not I want one!

What are you doing for a metal sphere?
    edited 2013-01-12 10:30
    Hoping to buy a metal vaccum sphere, but for now I'm making a mini one in a old jelly jar lined with aluminum foil.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-01-13 09:27
    TMAC1 wrote: »
    Hoping to buy a metal vaccum sphere, but for now I'm making a mini one in a old jelly jar lined with aluminum foil.

I have an actual vacuum pump and the bell chamber that goes with it. I'll give that a try it we think it will work. I thought the chamber had to be a pretty good sphere to work?
    edited 2013-01-13 12:11
    Sphere's are best, but crank up the voltage and almost any shape will do. Be very careful using a glass bell jar, it can implode easily. A good site to check out is http://Fusor.net.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2013-01-14 08:16
    Two of the deeper stainless steel bowls epoxied together would make a reasonable approximation of a sphere.
    edited 2013-01-14 12:58
    Btw, be careful using a glass case, as it WON'T PROTECT you from you the heavy levels of ultra-violet light and low levels of soft x-rays.
    edited 2013-01-18 16:13
    Interestingly enough, the man who designed the Fusor, Philo T Pharnsworth, also designed the first ever TV with similar technology.
  • wes3066wes3066 Posts: 6
    edited 2013-01-20 16:32
    Mark_T wrote: »
    I think these devices mange about 10^3 neutrons/sec or so, pretty safe. Lead shielding won't stop neutrons BTW.

Yes understood, neutrons travel right through the Earth :lol:, I was referring to the UV rays and soft x-rays produced. Sorry my bad for not being more to the point with my comment.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-01-20 17:58
    wes3066 wrote: »
    Yes understood, neutrons travel right through the Earth :lol:, I was referring to the UV rays and soft x-rays produced. Sorry my bad for not being more to the point with my comment.

Actually I think you are thinking about neutrinos traveling through the Earth. Neutrons can be stopped by dense materials (e. g. Uranium) and slowed by materials like water.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2013-01-22 07:01
    Martin_H wrote: »
    Actually I think you are thinking about neutrinos traveling through the Earth. Neutrons can be stopped by dense materials (e. g. Uranium) and slowed by materials like water.

No, neutrons are specifically _not_ stopped by dense materials (heavy nucleii), they just bouncy off them without losing energy, light nucleii slow down neutrons
    to thermal velocities, this is why water and graphite are used as moderators, but that doesn't stop them either. Specific isotopes with a large neutron cross section
    are what stop most neutrons - consult a table of nuclear properties for details (some isotopes are billions of times better than others, note). Neutron absorption
    also depends on the speed of the neutrons for each isotope...

Uranium stops neutrons by undergoing fission, or transmuting to fissile plutonium-239, thus generating far more dangerous radiation than is absorbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_radiation

Nuclear reactor buildings generate an enormous neutron flux, but the substantial containment buildings (20 feet of damp concrete) thermalize those that escape, and
    neutron absorbing materials like boron are added to mop up the remaining flux.

In the wild neutrons decay with a half-live of 10 mins or so. In practice they are likely to find a nucleus that absorbs them well before that. Absorbing a neutron
    often creates a radioactive product (sodium-23 in the blood for instance becomes extremely radioactive sodium-24). The diagnosis for neutron irradiation is measuring sodium-24. (See 2nd paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_sodium )
    edited 2013-01-22 10:33
    Mark_T wrote: »
    No, neutrons are specifically _not_ stopped by dense materials (heavy nucleii), they just bouncy off them without losing energy, light nucleii slow down neutrons
    to thermal velocities, this is why water and graphite are used as moderators, but that doesn't stop them either. Specific isotopes with a large neutron cross section
    are what stop most neutrons - consult a table of nuclear properties for details (some isotopes are billions of times better than others, note). Neutron absorption
    also depends on the speed of the neutrons for each isotope...

Uranium stops neutrons by undergoing fission, or transmuting to fissile plutonium-239, thus generating far more dangerous radiation than is absorbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_radiation

Nuclear reactor buildings generate an enormous neutron flux, but the substantial containment buildings (20 feet of damp concrete) thermalize those that escape, and
    neutron absorbing materials like boron are added to mop up the remaining flux.

In the wild neutrons decay with a half-live of 10 mins or so. In practice they are likely to find a nucleus that absorbs them well before that. Absorbing a neutron
    often creates a radioactive product (sodium-23 in the blood for instance becomes extremely radioactive sodium-24). The diagnosis for neutron irradiation is measuring sodium-24. (See 2nd paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_sodium )
    Thanks for the info! :) Fortunately, it only has a half-life of ~15hrs, still means I have to watch my exposure though.
    edited 2013-01-22 10:49
    Project update: My mini test fusor is about a third there. See attached photos.
    960 x 720 - 271K
    960 x 720 - 295K
    960 x 720 - 218K
    960 x 720 - 205K
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-01-22 11:20
    FWIW, I once had my hands on a Farnsworth fusor, built by Varian out of TIG-welded stainless steel. It was a masterpiece of construction. It had been donated to a Historical Society where I was volunteering time after work. No one in Collections knew what it was - they handed it to me to assess and identify. It was an enjoyable learning experience. They also had a couple hundred experimental tubes from Farnsworth's research lab. I got to document every one of them.

Volunteering can pay off. I met Sir George Solti and most of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra that way, too. Their instruments were stuck in a snowstorm in Colorado so we got to spend a lot of time together. :)