Road Narrows Robot Store

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2013-01-10 13:40 in Robotics
Too rich for my blood, but fun to peruse: http://www.roadnarrows-store.com/

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-01-08 00:35
    Wow: Powered 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub +$245.00

http://www.roadnarrows-store.com/products/robots/wheeled/corobot-explorer/coroware-explorer.html

I think this site is mainly targeted to university researchers, and it's to rip them off...
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-01-08 07:02
    Where other stores might only sell a Robot arm with gripper, RoadNarrows sells this...
    Hekateros, designed by RoadNarrows Robotics, operates in arbitrary and variable environments through an integrated perception-actuation control system.
    And remember, if you have to ask how much it costs, You probably can't afford it...

-Tommy
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-01-08 08:25
    I built a track robot base 2 wheel chair motors

1 old snow blower all under 500 dollars

It kills me to see the prices some of these companies are asking for stuff you could assemble yourself.

1016111346b.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 103K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-08 11:00
    I have a buddy who writes proposals for (and occasionally gets) government grants to do strange projects that are personally interesting to him. He hasn't quit his day job yet, but he has fun and earns beer money, occasionally buying from high-falutin' places like this.
  • varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2013-01-09 05:15
    SRLM wrote: »

I think this site is mainly targeted to university researchers, and it's to rip them off...
    Ttailspin wrote: »

And remember, if you have to ask how much it costs, You probably can't afford it...

-Tommy

This is a HUGE problem in my area too.
    I use the propeller for my work, and I only have to spend $50-150 for electronics for each project.
    If I bought commercial equipment, I would be spending $1,000-5,000.

Its insane. These companies will literally charge $100 for a simple lever. And their software can be so limited in comparison to the propeller.

Many years ago, you learned how to build your own equipment while earning your phd. This isn't the case now. These companies exist because researchers do know how to design their own equipment and can waste grant money on these products.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2013-01-09 05:45
    I wish someone would give me a grant I could build on heck of a robot with the way I recycle parts.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2013-01-10 12:55
    I get sorely tempted to just pay to have some pre-made awesomness added to my own bot project. Especially weeks like this where I struggle making some simple bit of non-moving stuff and do three revisions but then I remember that the goal of my project was to learn, and I am learning much as a result. When it's done, it wont be the coolest looking bot ever but I will be very happy with the achievement of building it not just assembling it and driving it around.

I will admit, I'm more inclined to vary from that on the electronics side. I can waste far too much money smoking things and still be no closer to understanding what just happened on that side than I am on the physical realm.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-10 13:40
    @photomankc: Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted! :)