Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Retreive Data and trasfer back to computer — Parallax Forums

Retreive Data and trasfer back to computer

jonykkjonykk Posts: 17
edited 2013-01-06 20:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
Im having problem on how to send my EEPROM data to my computer using RS232 cable. Im using BS2pe for doing a data logging project. I saved all the data that gathered from the sensor to the EEPROM but how to send those data back to computer for future analysis. Is it posible to save in csv file? so that easy for generate a graph...

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2013-01-06 11:08
    If you've successfully saved the data to EEPROM, you can send it to the PC using SEROUT.

You'll set up a loop to READ the EEPROM location, send the byte out the serial port, add a comma, get the next EEPROM value, repeat. At the PC, use Hyperterminal to receive the file.

Note that prolonged, high speed writes to EEPROM will gradually "wear-out" the memory locations.

Cheers,
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-06 11:54
    You can also use StampPlot Pro or PLX-DAQ on the PC to manage the PC end of the data collection. Look at the documentation for each here. They both simplify the process.
  • jonykkjonykk Posts: 17
    edited 2013-01-06 12:03
    Any example code for me to understand more? To transfer the data out...i need to have something like this http://www.rentron.com/ActiveX.htm then only can SEROUT the data right?

For the coding...data were store in 8 to 15 cause BS2pe only allow data to store in that place.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-06 13:48
    You can certainly use the Active X control from Rentron, but you could also use any programming language that supports serial I/O. Chipmunk Basic is free and does that. It was originally developed for the Mac, but has Linux and Windows versions as well. The Stamp uses SEROUT to send characters to the PC and can use SERIN to receive characters sent by the PC.

I strongly suggest that you look at StampPlot Pro and/or PLX-DAQ. These take care of the work on the PC side and come with plenty of examples for the Stamp side.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2013-01-06 14:37
    jonykk wrote: »
    For the coding...data were store in 8 to 15 cause BS2pe only allow data to store in that place.

All you stored is 8 bytes of data? I can almost get that out with just a fahnestock clip.
  • SapphireSapphire Posts: 496
    edited 2013-01-06 20:40
    Erco,

I think he means slots 8-15 in the BS2pe. Up to 8k available there. Might be a bit much for your fahnestock clip!

Jonykk,

How is your saved data structured? A continuous stream of bytes, or is it a table of information from the sensor? Are there any timestamps? If you post the program that stored the data, it would help us figure out the best way to get it out.