Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unable to disconnect USB to 232 serial adapter — Parallax Forums

Unable to disconnect USB to 232 serial adapter

spiProgrammerspiProgrammer Posts: 3
edited 2013-01-05 21:17 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I just got the USB to 232 Serial adapter, it works great, driver loaded right away. If I unplug the USB cable from the PC, the adapter will not reconnect to the PC unless I reboot the PC, also the PC will not shut down properly when the adapter has been unplugged. If I leave the adapter connected and shut down the PC it shuts down just fine only takes a few seconds, but if I disconnect the adapter the PC hangs during shut down. Is there a way to turn off the USB to 232 adapter before unplugging it? Or is there some technique that I am missing?
Thank you for any help

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-05 19:11
    Something is wrong with the setup you've got. You should be able to plug and unplug the USB2SER adapter any time and that should just work. It has worked for me. You do need to quit the program that uses the adapter or at least make the program disconnect from the serial port it's using. If Windows thinks the serial port is still being used by the program, it won't let another program use it. Your program may have a bug in it that doesn't release the serial port. There's nothing wrong with the adapter or the driver though.
  • spiProgrammerspiProgrammer Posts: 3
    edited 2013-01-05 20:50
    Thanks for the reply Mike,

To describe the problem further, I just unplugged the USB to 232, then replugged, I get no tone, only one flash of the red light on the USB to 232 board, but minutes later the light is not green. When I firstboot the PC I get a tone when I plug in the USB to 232, a red flash, then a steady green light.

I'll try unistalling the Basic Stamp editor, and reinstalling. Is there a place to unistall the driver for the USB to 232? I'll also try the USB to 232 out on another PC, to rule out a possible hardware problem. I'll follow up after I make these test.
  • spiProgrammerspiProgrammer Posts: 3
    edited 2013-01-05 21:17
    Hi Mike,

I tested my USB to 232 on a different PC, and it works fine, so I agree it is a problem with the original PCs setup. I'll work on that issue, and report if I find a fix.

Thank you for your advise,