Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot and Bluetooth — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot and Bluetooth

jblivelyjblively Posts: 6
edited 2013-01-03 11:29 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I was looking for an easy way to add wireless bluetooth programming and control to my Boe-Bot. I've seen serial to bluetooth adapters out there, but wanted to know if anyone here has had experience with them. This is the one I was looking at:

http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=228&gclid=CNK1od7IzLQCFYN_Qgod-yMAGw

It's inexpensive and sounds like it should work, if I use external power.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or other EASY options that don't require soldering to get bluetooth going for the boe-bot?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-01-03 11:29
    Most wireless (WiFi or Bluetooth) adapters do not work for programming a Stamp or Propeller. Both the Stamp and Propeller depend on fairly accurate timing of the serial data and both WiFi and Bluetooth rely on assembling data into packets for transmission and this introduces unpredictable delays. Parallax does carry the FlashFly Wireless Programming Kit which is specially designed to work for programming a Stamp. You can use almost any Bluetooth or WiFi adapter for sending data back and forth. You'd need an RS232 interface if you're going to use the DB-9 serial port used for programming or a 5V "TTL" interface if you're going to connect the adapter to a pair of Stamp I/O pins.

Note that the FlashFly modules, while wireless, don't use Bluetooth. They use the xBee standard. If you're going to use this, you'll want the Blue Wolf Adapter as well for your serial BoeBot.