Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Puzzler!! Two Thermastats, One Air Handler, and Two Dampers — Parallax Forums

Puzzler!! Two Thermastats, One Air Handler, and Two Dampers

sfrjosh@me.comsfrjosh@me.com Posts: 6
edited 2013-01-03 05:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hey Guy,
I'm Looking for lil help and point in the right direction, I appropriate you guys taking a second to read this.

My Background
I have once before bought a Basic Stamp Development Board and an RFID scanner, I took those parts, I wrote a script to check the RFID card number and compare it to array on the board. It would unlock the lock. It was very simple.:cool: I also have c#, vb.net, ect... programming experiences, and looking in to moving in to real life concepts.
The Concept
I have two room that are both heated and cooled by one 'Hot water Air handler'. The two room each have their own Honeywell thermostats. Everything is working great as in they heat up and cool down when the thermostats call for it. So that going great. but I need to be able to have each room be able to have 20-30 degree differences between the two.

So each room has its own 24 volt damper that opens when the thermostat calls for it, So I'll need a micro controller that has at lest 11 I/O pins

5v Input Pin 1 - W wire from the thermostat in room one, control HEAT on air handler (Note: 24volt from thermostat need to be dropped to 5volt, Any tips Must Appreciated)
5v Input Pin 2 - G wire from thermostat in room one control FAN on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)
5v Input Pin 3 - Y wire from thermostat in room one control COOL on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)

5v Input Pin 4 - W wire from thermostat in room two control HEAT on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)
5v Input Pin 5 - G wire from thermostat in room two control FAN on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)
5v Input Pin 6 - Y wire from thermostat in room two control COOL on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)

5v Output Pin 7 - W wire from Micro-controller to the HEAT on air handler (Note: 5volt from Micro-controller need to be increased to 24volt)
5v Output Pin 8 - G wire from Micro-controller to the FAN on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)
5v Output Pin 9 - Y wire from Micro-controller to the COOL on air handler (Note: Same as Above :-p)

5v Output Pin 10 - 24volt wire from Micro-controller to the Air Damper in room one (Note: 5volt from Micro-controller need to be increased to 24volt)
5v Output Pin 11 - 24volt wire from Micro-controller to the Air Damper in room two (Note:Same as Above :-p)

So programming the controller will be easy with basic stamp.

Im looking for help I need to know where I can buy the stuff to interface with the board and devices ( SSR, Relays, Transformers, Ect... )
Also what kind of board would be best to make this a soil project

Thank You guys. If you need drawing I can provide one

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2013-01-03 05:16
    Welcome to the forums.

The best way to get help here is to present specific problems for folks to provide input on.

As for the board, there are number of ways to proceed. You could go with a ready-built controller board which would move you forward the quickest, but rob you of the learning experience. I have a couple of my own design which might work.

You could also design a board and manufacture it yourself or use one of the many PCB production houses. This takes a bit more time but will bring you a more exact solution. If this is a one-of project, you could do a decent job with perfboard and point-to-point wiring or wire-wrap. And, its possible to hire someone to build this controller for you.

As for sources of components, your local electrical supply house will have the usual 24 VAC transformers, relays, boxes, etc. Or, the online suppliers like Digi-Key, Mouser, Automation Direct, element 14 will be glad to have your order.

Cheers,