Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FM Radio with LCD, and Clock.(or, what to do with an old tool box..) — Parallax Forums

FM Radio with LCD, and Clock.(or, what to do with an old tool box..)

TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
edited 2013-01-02 21:35 in Robotics
Well actually, it is a fairly new box, And the tool that came in the box failed misurably within hours of use.
And that left me with another brand new Old Tool box. I have enough of those, but I had no "Job Site" radio.
Something rugged, able to take some weather, and have the ability to become obnoxiosly loud when needed.
it was time to take action, And thats what drove me to buy some $100 in parts and solder over 300 points...

Anyhoos, I will spare ye all any more of me ramblings, here is what I did with said box...
FrontStarted.jpg
OpenStarted.jpg
MajorParts.jpg

Amp_Switchs_Prop.jpg
PWR Supply.jpg
Preamp_Switches_LCD.jpg

FullFrontFinish.jpg

So, what else could I do with an old tool box? Throw it away and buy a new radio for $15 ???
Thats just not how things are done in the trailer park, What would the neighbors think??..

-Tommy

RadioTommy - Archive [Date 2013.01.01 Time 11.49].zip
1024 x 625 - 111K
1024 x 768 - 120K
1024 x 768 - 151K
1024 x 768 - 135K
1024 x 768 - 145K
1024 x 768 - 145K
1024 x 768 - 152K

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-01-01 17:22
    Excellent project, I love it! Definitely a wise use of the sawzall box, they are definitely rugged and not something that should end up in the dump. I am tagging this thread as a possible idea for my brother's birthday in April. He is a General Contractor and I think a custom built radio like this would be a good idea.
    Have you thought of adding an extra input for a 12 VDC source so it could be powered from a vehicle?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-01-01 18:02
    Tommy, that's pretty cool. It definitely looks like it can take some knocks and keep working. Plus in the event of a failure all parts are user serviceable.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-01-01 19:25
    Very cool but this raised two immediate questions

#1 Do you plan to implement mp3 maybe? There are cheap easy modules on ebay for that.
    #2 You had a Milwakee tool die within hours?!!!! I use these on jobs all the time pretty rugged, as good as de wault!
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-01-02 15:38
    Really awesome project Tommy! Great job!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-01-02 21:35
    @WBA, I was considering batteries to add portability, but I don't really need to power this radio from a car,
    And after I did the math, I decided against it, 12 Volts @ 5 Amps X 8+ hours = Battery Jump start cables @ days end.
    99.9% of the time I will have a 110 AC power on site anyways.So I get to use all 44 Watts all day long.:smile:
    The TDA1554 is a little power hungry, The data sheet does say it is designed for Automotive applications though..

@Martin, Thanks, I still have some more supports to add, and also the protective shielding around the AC line input.
    It's safe enough with the lid closed and locked, but not especially safe with the lid up reprogramming the Prop.:innocent:

@rwgast_logicdesign, I wasn't really trying to bash Milwaukee products, in fact, I replaced that broken Sawzall with
    another Milwaukee Super Sawzall, Just not the same model with the exploding blade holder, and detachable cord...

As for MP3 players and such, there is an Auxiliary input on the front panel underneath the big switch at the bottom.
    CntrolPnl.jpg

In fact, that big switch is for changing the input between AUX/FM, Just about any line level input will do..:smile:

@doggiedoc, Thanks, it was really fun to build, almost as much fun to build as an automatic chicken coop...:thumb:

-Tommy
    1024 x 768 - 131K