Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping Senso — Parallax Forums

Ping Senso

KeganKegan Posts: 2
edited 2012-12-30 15:19 in Accessories
Hello to the ParallaxCommunity! I hope to learn ALOT here.
First, a newbie question about ultrasonics - If I were to remove the casing on the Ping sensor, would it allow a wider, but more shallow field?
I assume the distance between the two sensor is part of the calibration of its sensing field, but could I make them more low profile and wider metal cylinders [perhaps reducing its detection field (which is ok)]?
Thanks!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-12-26 17:32
    I would not modify the Ping sensor. If it is not what you need find something else that is. The cans are part of the sensor and you will probably end up destroying the device. There are ultrasonic sensors you can buy not mounted to experiment with.http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1324.html
  • garyggaryg Posts: 420
    edited 2012-12-27 02:29
    I agree with Franklin.
    If you feel the need to modify your Ping Sensor, Please put your end result comments in this forum place.
    It would be very helpful to yourself and others, if you would describe what you want to accomplish.

Also, reading all of the available documentation of the Ping Sensor would help your understanding of what exactly it is
    intended by design what it does.

I hope my comments help you.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-27 11:08
    Kegan wrote: »
    If I were to remove the casing on the Ping sensor, would it allow a wider, but more shallow field?
    I assume the distance between the two sensor is part of the calibration of its sensing field,

I think the ultrasound transducers would be damaged if you tried to modify the metal cans. The spacing of the two transducers isn't very important and is not part of the calibration of the device.

It's possible to alter the detection field of the sensor by adding some sort of deflector or absorber to the transducers. I think someone managed to change the field of detection by adding a ring with foam (or was it fuzz?) to one of the transducers.

One of the transducers emits the ultrasound while the other transducer is used to detect the echo (I don't remember which is which).
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-12-27 12:30
    If you want to hack something, I suggest a $2 China HC-SR04 sensor, not a $25 PING. It's likely to be a one way trip to the trash can. Then you and I can split the $23 I saved you . :)
  • KeganKegan Posts: 2
    edited 2012-12-29 17:13
    Hey guys thanks for your input. I intend to grab some HC-SR04 sensors and destroy (I mean redesign) them.
    I am referring I guess to the actual screen that is covering the sensor- I have done a little research but it is the actual theory of ultrasonic sensing that I am most interested in.
    As far as the sending the original wave and receiving the reflected wave, each transducer will perform its function per Paralax specs, but are the screen and metal housing necessary for this function?
    To be clear - I intend to destroy some :) If the focus of the beam is intended to be wide, would removing / minimizing these (metal housing and screen) be a possibility?
    Again, much thanks!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-29 18:17
    Kegan wrote: »
    are the screen and metal housing necessary for this function?

My guess is the screen isn't important. I'd also guess it should still work without the metal can.

Make sure and test the angle of detection with an unmodified unit so you can compare its results with your hacked version.

I hope you let us know how all this turns out.

I don't see any microcontroller mentioned. Which one are you planning on using?