Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chrome Tape for Line Following Robots — Parallax Forums

Chrome Tape for Line Following Robots

ercoerco Posts: 20,256
edited 2013-01-04 17:49 in Robotics
Chrome "Duck Tape" from WalMart makes a dandy line for robot line following.

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-12-24 12:35
    ...plus it will make for some dandy "structural" pinstripes on the Corvair!!

Nice tip, Mr. E!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-12-24 12:43
    Sure, it holds the rust on in fine style! :)
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-12-25 16:40
    Chrome "Duck Tape" from WalMart makes a dandy line for robot line following
    Yes it does - that's what we used for the line following competitions at Expo 2012 in our back parking lot - the tape is still there like we laid it yesterday.
    -MattG
    edited 2012-12-25 21:50
    I thought you used aluminum foil tape... like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBOYZO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3/179-0767128-8112843?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=07P63EF8V3XH7R2X42JB&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B007A5ZIE6

That might be be shinier & flatter, but the Duck tape is cloth-based and can be torn easily into strips. This cheapskate can get 3 strips out of the 2" wide roll. :)
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-01-01 14:30
    I layed the roll on its side and used a strip of 3/4" wood as a guide for my razor knife as I carefully turned the roll against the knife, that made for three nice shiny rolls of line following fun..
    Yes it does - that's what we used for the line following competitions at Expo 2012 in our back parking lot - the tape is still there like we laid it yesterday.
    -MattG
    Gee, if I new it was going to be so permanent, I might have been more carefull helping Mr.Harris with the measuring and tape laying...:)

-Tommy
    edited 2013-01-03 20:58
    Tommy - it looks like it'll be there for the next dozen Expo's :innocent: I blame you :tongue:
    -MattG
    edited 2013-01-04 07:40
    Not me!, I remember the whole thing very clearly...
    Having some experience with the shiny tape, I know it sticks well to any dry surface, especially to a porus surface.
    So, I was trying to stop Mr.harris, but I was quickly subjugated during a short scuffle for the tape.
    I would have gained control of the tape too, except for erco stepping in to break it up with his FlameBot.
    I was forced to relent the tape, And now the rest is history...

At least, I'm pretty sure thats the way it happened, Things got a little foggy with a blast of burning hair spray to the face...:coffee:

-Tommy
    edited 2013-01-04 15:57
    OK, Expo will be here before we know it. Time for some SERIOUS answers about last year's LFO.

Nobody actually completed it?

Is it the chrome fabric DUCK tape I mentioned here (that MattG says here) or the aluminum foil tape decreed here: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/969/Default.aspx

Is it 1" wide, as decreed at that site, or 3/4" as Tommy said here? Yes, little details like this do matter.

Seems like people struggled a lot last year just detecting the line. The "asphalt" was fairly white and reflective. It was either pouring rain or blinding sun. Did we learn anything? Will anything change?

Is Daniel Harris the only contender? What did he use? Is there any video from last year? Did he actually use 38 kHz IR sensors? Seems nutty.

I may just field an entry if I get some accurate answers soon.
    edited 2013-01-04 16:39
    Yeah, you're right on the tape erco . The stuff we used for competition was foil tape -kinda like aluminum foil with adhesive on one side.

As far as standards for the coming Expo, we should publish those at least 60 days in advance prior to competition date, which would allow for more entries, and maybe a beginner's and advanced courses.

Since both of you (erco and Tommy) are so embroiled in making the upcoming Expo a massively-exciting event,
    I do hereby appoint both of you as "co-chairmen of the line following robot competitions" :tongue:

Gentlemen, work out the details, and have a report on my desk by 9am.
    -MattG
    edited 2013-01-04 17:49
    I just got a fun pass, So I can commit to May 4th, Along with the 3rd and the 5th reserved for traveling.:thumb::thumb:

-Tommy