Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help is needed for CMUCam with Boe-Bot — Parallax Forums

help is needed for CMUCam with Boe-Bot

waleedfakhrwaleedfakhr Posts: 9
edited 2012-12-24 03:52 in Accessories
Hello everyone;

We bought a parallax Boe-Bot then bought the CmuCam later from Parallax which is supposed to work for the boe-bot.
this is for the senioe project of my students. So far, they have a problem in hooking the camera to the boe-bot since there are
2 pins which are supposed to be for the power but there is plcae for them on the boe-bot board, I know this is very basic
question, but we need some help.. Thanks

Dr. Waleed

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-23 11:07
    In the CMUcam4 documentation (page 2), it mentions there are six ways of powering the camera.

It might be easiest if you power it with 5V from one of the BOE's servo ports. If you're not using both pan and tilt servos, it looks like you could use one of those connections to power the board from the BOE. I think I'm wrong about the servo connectors. It looks like the servos get powered separately from the rest of the board. You may need to make a custom cable to make this connection since I don't see a power connection option (on the camera board) which would allow a standard three pin connector.

Another option for powering the board would be to use the BOE's Vin and connect to one of the "Vin" locations on the camera board. IIRC, the BOE has a jumper to set the servo connectors to either Vin or 5.0V. So depending on which way you have this jumper set, you'll want to use either a Vin or a 5.0V connection on the camera board.

Are you using a BS2 Board of Education with your BOE-Bot or is your BOE a PropBOE?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-23 13:21
    Duane, there's also the possibility this is the old CMU cam designed for the app mod socket.

Does it look lik 1 or 4?
    CMUcam 1
    EquipmentImage_473.jpg

CMYcam 4

CMUcam4_B.JPG
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-23 14:51
    Martin, That makes more sense.

Thanks,
  • waleedfakhrwaleedfakhr Posts: 9
    edited 2012-12-23 23:38
    Many thanks Duane and Martin for your kind help;

It is the CmuCam-1, and I bought it from Parallax 6 months ago as they say it is designed for the boe-bot.
    do I have a mismatch problem now? is there a way to make this cmucam-1 work with the boe-bot?

many thanks

Waleed
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-24 03:52
    You should be fine. I don't have one, but it plugs into the BOE app mod socket and should be pretty goof proof. It's a few revisions out of date, but you might find some samples via Google.

A Google search for Parallax cmucam lead me to this forum thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?70824-Parallax-CMUcam-Information-and-Contest but the product links are dead. If you contact Parallax tech support they should have a zip of the documents and code samples.