Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Not getting a 404.... — Parallax Forums

Not getting a 404....

electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
edited 2012-12-26 14:26 in Accessories
Hello. I have dug out my Spinneret and am trying to get started with it using Mike G's tutorial, and have gotten stuck right off the bat. Instead of the 404 I get a "cannot display web page". I changed the settings in HTTPserver.spin, and changed some settings in the router. Here are a few screen shots. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. P.S. I am powering the spinneret with 5 volt on J6 (the three pin header). I am getting leds PWR,SPD,FDX on all the time. LINK is on most of the time unless RX lights up briefly.
837 x 375 - 16K
436 x 389 - 46K
613 x 332 - 23K
782 x 228 - 10K
422 x 30 - 1K

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-12-18 20:55
    Not sure... try to ping the IP.

Make sure 'SDCard.mount(fileErrorHandle) is commented if you do not have an SD card.
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2012-12-19 10:58
    Hello. I tried to ping the spinneret with no response. It also does not show up as a connected device on my router control screen. Here is a screenshot of the PST. I have a 4gb PNY sd card. Thanks.
    468 x 447 - 14K
    PST.PNG 14.2K
    edited 2012-12-19 11:30
    It looks like the server fired up. That's good.

How is your network setup? Switches and routers?

I've seen similar situations. Sometimes resetting a router or switch does the trick. Other times the issue is network configuration where one router is behind another creating a second network.
    edited 2012-12-19 13:59
    Hi Mike. For the network I just have one modem-router.I reset the router with no change. I also tried removing the sd card and commented out SDCard.mount(FileErrorHandle). I have tried several different patch cables. Thanks.
    edited 2012-12-19 19:46
    Please post the HttpServer.spin as loaded in the Spinneret. There could be something off with the service.
    edited 2012-12-20 06:13
    Here is what I currenty have loaded. (Last night I tried changing the gateway,ip and port settings in the router and httpsever.spin). Attached is the current httpserver.spin file. Thanks for taking a look.
    edited 2012-12-20 14:53
    Try loading the code from this thread.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?144494-New-Drivers-for-the-Spinneret

It uses DHCP and I believe port 8080. You'll have to pay attention to the assigned IP and use it in your browser address bar.
    edited 2012-12-20 16:21
    Thanks Mike! Getting somewhere now. For the first time I see the spinneret showing up as an attached device in the router controls, and am seeing the red rx led light up! I put the assigned id (192.168.1.10:8080) into the IE webbrowser and when I did I noticed the blue tx and the red rx led's light up. The screen was blank, but it did not say the usual cannot connect screen.... I also changed the port forward setting to 8080. Any Idea why httpserver.spin is not working? Should I try to redownload all the files? (I got them from the link on the tutorial). Thanks again for your help!
    edited 2012-12-20 17:45
    The Spinneret shows up in the router because client DHCP. HttpServer does not use DHCP. I suspect you have configuration issues to work through.

The original post is trying to use IP 192.168.0.150 while DHCP found 192.168.1.10. These are two different networks. I suspect the original error is correct and the reason ping did not work as expected. I'm curious why the original post shows a gateway IP of 192.168.0.1.

Are you sure there is only one router on this network?
    Where other configuration updates made after post 1?
    edited 2012-12-20 18:38
    This is my home network. I only have one router. I made a bunch of changes since post one. :D This network stuff is all new to me, but I am having a great time dealing with it and learning something new! I'm very happy to learn that I have a configuration problem rather then a hardware problem. I've tackled a bunch of unfamiliar hardware/protocol situations over the last few years, and after all the "stumpers" I've run into followed by success I'm not afraid to keep trying. The best thing is, I am now assured that I have a good piece of hardware to work with over the holidays, and the only thing stopping me from getting this working is my own ignorance.... I'll be working on this from the office tomarrow so it will be interesting to see how that network and router differers (if at all) from my home network. I realize that it is difficult to troubleshoot things like this with the limited information that you are given from my previous posts and I really appriciate your help Mike!

traVis.
    edited 2012-12-20 19:18
    The network stuff is always the most confusing at first. Don't worry about setting up port forwarding (or anything) until you get the local network functioning.

I'd use the new code (post 8) with the DHCP client to retrieve network parameters. Insert those parameter in HttpServer.spin. That way you can run through the tutorial.

When/if you decide to create Spinneret applications, please use the new code base. If you need help just ask.
    edited 2012-12-26 14:26
    Getting a 404 and more now! Here is where I'm at. Changed the waitcount from /500 to /200 in pub main and the Max_Tries in the Con section from $05 to $0A. ( had to change both, tried it both ways separatley). I got my 404 with IE, but not google. Then I started working through the tutorial until I got to the point where index.htm was revised and led.htm was added. At that point I was getting errors again. I increased only Max_tries to $14 leaving waitcnt at /200 and all is good, even on chrome. Here are a few screenshots of the PST. One thing I notice is with google chrome, it writes a 404 error before displaying the led page. I never notice it in the browser, but I see it on the PST. Am I just doing a quick fix by having it try more times? Should I be looking at something else?

Thanks.
    traVis.
    607 x 483 - 17K
    566 x 750 - 24K