Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Am I in over my head — Parallax Forums

Am I in over my head

ctresslerctressler Posts: 3
edited 2012-12-26 11:17 in BASIC Stamp
I'm fairly new to microcontrollers and programming, but I'm getting the hang of things. I have inherited a large number of BS2 modules and several sensors that require the I2C interface. My question is, am I in over my head to expect that I could follow Jon Williams article in Nuts & Volts I2C Again - and the Case for Continuous Improvement(November 2004) to get my BS2's to starting talking to the I2C sensors. One of the sensors, an Altimeter Module MS5607 is shown on the Parallax website which offers a Driver to be used with SPIN Code. Is it even possible write code for the BS2 to use this type of Sensor? Would it be better to upgrade to the BS2p's or do I need to upgrade to a Propeller?

Thanks in advance, I've already learned so much from this forum and the free manuals Parallax has online.

-Christopher

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-16 13:45
    I2C sensors are a little harder to use with the BS2 than some other types of serial sensors. But I say give it a try, but if you feel frustrated then consider something easier. Does a Google search for that sensor and BS2 yeild any sample code?

Here's another article that talks about using I2C with a compass so you can see another example :

http://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/29133
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2012-12-19 11:14
    My question is, am I in over my head to expect that I could follow Jon Williams article in Nuts & Volts I2C Again - and the Case for Continuous Improvement(November 2004) to get my BS2's to starting talking to the I2C sensors.

No, you are not. Jon's article is pretty clear, and there are BS2 routines that "bit bang" the I2C protocol. Should be OK. The only thing you may want to look into is if any of your I2C slaves (sensors) perform clock-stretching. I don't believe the BS2 routines for I2C will handle that. BS2p and BS2px include "native" I2C commands.
  • ctresslerctressler Posts: 3
    edited 2012-12-19 11:22
    Thank you for the responses, I'm going to work on it this weekend.
  • playinmyblues_nsccplayinmyblues_nscc Posts: 38
    edited 2012-12-26 11:01
    I have not read Jon Williams articles on this topic. However, I do have the StampWorks book and PDF that he had a hand in, (I suspect he wrote the whole thing). The PDF is free from Parallax. It has a lot of experiments to work with and #32 is titled "I2C Communications." I recommend working through the whole book. There is a list of components needed on page 1.
  • ctresslerctressler Posts: 3
    edited 2012-12-26 11:17
    I have not read Jon Williams articles on this topic. However, I do have the StampWorks book and PDF that he had a hand in, (I suspect he wrote the whole thing). The PDF is free from Parallax. It has a lot of experiments to work with and #32 is titled "I2C Communications." I recommend working through the whole book. There is a list of components needed on page 1.

Thanks for the info, I'll work through the experiments