Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for both solidworks files of the motor mount and wheel kit — Parallax Forums

Looking for both solidworks files of the motor mount and wheel kit

robobillrobobill Posts: 12
edited 2012-12-27 09:28 in Robotics
I'm designing a robot that will use the Eddie motor drives. Parallax's docs (27971 3D IGES) includes only one motor drive, but since I'm using two drives (one on the right and one on the left side of my robot), the files for its "mirrored" twin is not posted nor is it available from Parallax. Does anyone out there in roboland have a file of Eddie's twin drive? I'd like both for center of mass analysis. Thanks

Comments

• JordanCClarkJordanCClark Posts: 198
    edited 2012-12-17 13:21
    Assuming you're using Solidworks (only assuming, since it was in the title, then you mentioned using the IGES file instead), why not mirror it in your assembly?

If you're not using Solidworks, what are you using? :smile:
    800 x 538 - 254K
  • robobillrobobill Posts: 12
    edited 2012-12-23 21:23
    Unfortunately I'm using Solidworks 99 .. yep its old but its still works ... sort of....... thanks Bill
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2012-12-24 08:22
    That's an old one!

IMHO the best path in that version is to copy the file or files if there are more than one and use the mirror function at the part level and then assemble as needed to form the mirror assembly. You essentially make another assembly. I think 99 had part configurations too, meaning you could mirror the existing part files and designate their configuration in two instances of the motor assembly.

In either case you want to make a parent assembly to contain both assemblies.

Just make sure your mirror operation results in one solid body. One hack is to have the part touch itself then cut away the non mirrored portion. If there are too many features to make this practical, export the part as Para solid and use that as the basis for your mirror operation as it will be a single feature.
  • robobillrobobill Posts: 12
    edited 2012-12-27 09:28
    that's exactly what I did.. thanks Bill