Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Autonomous Source Code for Eddie Platform — Parallax Forums

Autonomous Source Code for Eddie Platform

LaMontLaMont Posts: 4
edited 2012-12-19 12:03 in Robotics
I have been following your site and some similar, and have got the robotic bug. I recently purchased an Eddie Robot from Parallax, after assembling it I realized that the programming of the robot was more intensive than first thought. Does anyone have Source code for autonomous operation that works out the box for the Eddie Parallax platform.

Comments

• namusnamus Posts: 18
    edited 2012-12-14 07:50
    Hi LaMont,
    that's a good question ;-) And it is the reason, why i purchased the robot too. Parallax promises this. But it took me a lot of month to reach this goal more or less.
    The question is what do you understand by "autonomous"? It's relatively easy to control the eddie with the xbox controller or via dashboard using RDP.
    You "only" need to read the documents at the parallax site concerning eddie. But you need an xbox controller first :) When you can't reach this goal, ask.

To let it run really autonomously it's IMHO not possible.
    I understand this in this way, that I execute one command to the eddie and it goes around into your appartment or whatever. It will seek the way automaticly, avoid obstacles etc. until you stop it via another command.
    The only thing that comes close to this is the so called "Follow-Me" Function. You can find it here (lot to read and learn :-)): http://roboticsathome.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/simple-follow-me-application-for-eddie-and-kinect/
    But this also works only in a "jerky motion". But it works ;-)

I'm curious what parallax says to this issue. Perhaps it's however possible that it works with an out of the box source code?
  • LaMontLaMont Posts: 4
    edited 2012-12-19 12:03
    I would also like to hear what parallax says to this issue. I have searched the internet and have yet found any code related to RDS4 that does the autonomus function. I have yet to see any tutorial that show how to talk from my desktop machine to the laptop on the Eddie. Again I am a newbie, how do I get started.