Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Joystick + pushbutton + LEDs = simple PropBOE add-on — Parallax Forums

Joystick + pushbutton + LEDs = simple PropBOE add-on

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
edited 2012-12-25 09:44 in General Discussion
Hey all,

People in the office are continually cobbling together XBees, joysticks and other items to make a remote user interface. The kinds of contraptions they're controlling include Quadrovers, small robots, wireless electric skateboards, and pan/tilt systems. Once in a while we see remote interfaces to our own manufacturing equipment. To help these people along with their projects we built a small joystick add-on board with the following features:
  • Analog or digital joystick
  • Potentiometer with nice knob and 1/4" knockouts
  • (2) panel-mount LEDs
  • Anodized black AL6061 mounting plate
  • Compatible with any Parallax 3"x4" board (Propeller Board of Education, Prop Proto Board, Board of Education)
It's impossible to satisfy everybody with a full set of features, but we've tried to come up with the right mix of devices to be useful in a number of simple applications. Customers can still drill out more holes for anything they want to add. This is not a quadcopter controller - there are already better options for that kind of project such as this KickStarter success http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1757054094/xbee-handheld-controller?ref=category.

We haven't decided whether or not we'd offer these as a product. We're interested in your feedback first. Creating a product involves a different level of commitment [as many of you know!] in regards to material management, documentation, part numbers, pictures, etc. Although we're in the business of making products like this, we want our commitment to be coupled with sales! What we need to know from you:
  • Product name? There are two versions - analog and digital.
  • Price? Here's the problem. You can always get a small wireless controller from a video game for twenty bucks, but that's less than the Bill of Materials cost for something like this product (those are made in the millions, ours is made in batches of 100). This is more of an open, basic design with a techie look and feel, maybe appealing to people who simply prefer this style. The cost is at least $39-49, retail. Yeah, that's expensive!
We can make these available for purchase on the forums if you are interested. Since they're not a stocked item here I'll need to figure out how to sell them. Maybe you can just make a charitable donation of fifty bucks to your favorite place and that'll suffice. I'll come back with more details on this point shortly. I have four digital and eight analog.

For now, we're looking for any kind of feedback you may want to provide. And I'll send these two units to Phil Pilgrim to get an object written. Should be a snap, but a pile of "snaps" can be become a big load of work around here.

Thanks all!

Ken Gracey

Joysticks.jpg
1024 x 768 - 82K

Comments

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-12-10 09:58
    For names I will go with synonyms of joy: bliss and charm. The modules look very well made and professional. I would buy one of the analogs.

John Abshier
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-12-10 10:10
    I like them since they look like "professional hobbyist" or small run manufacturing items rather than hacked and re-purposed game controllers.

Since there are obvious customization and feature add opportunities, I'm not sure if a kit as shown would be something I'd purchase but being able to purchase the known and documented joysticks (digital and analog) would be a big help to making something like these on your own. The PhiPi code would also be a big help and priceless value-add.

Too bad you guys have to cobble thing like this while at the office. Today, I just got to scrub a new database table to match it up with the spreadsheet it's replacing....yeah, I'll color everybody at Parallax green with envy on that one!! :lol:
  • john_sjohn_s Posts: 369
    edited 2012-12-11 08:37
    Ken,

Perhaps just a link to consider in respect to design aspects for buttons, layout and such...

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/arduino-esplora/
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2012-12-11 09:05
    Those look very cool.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-12-11 09:28
    Ken, Though not the same product category -- yours is more for higher-end customized projects -- the new Arduino Esplora offers an interesting alternative for those wanting a generalized controller. I can see something similar with a Prop on it, and maybe the next step up with a socket for XBee, possibly on the bottom, along with better mounting for a serial LCD.

http://arduino.cc/esplora

Like the Leonardo, the USB can act as a HID, so the controller mimics a USB keyboard or mouse. Maybe Ari would like to look at this for potential new product?

-- Gordon
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2012-12-11 09:36
    Here's how you can get one if you are interested. I have seven (7) digital and three (3) analog versions.

- make a $50 donation to a charity of your choice
    - post a copy of your receipt here, even if just a cut/paste from your e-mail that excludes any private information
    - specify your desired model, analog or digital
    - PM me your shipping address

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-12-11 11:20
    Dear SRLM,

Thank you for donating to the Wikimedia Foundation. You are wonderful!

It's easy to ignore our fundraising banners, and I'm really glad you didn't. This is how Wikipedia pays its bills --- people like you giving us money, so we can keep the site freely available for everyone around the world.

People tell me they donate to Wikipedia because they find it useful, and they trust it because even though it's not perfect, they know it's written for them. Wikipedia isn't meant to advance somebody's PR agenda or push a particular ideology, or to persuade you to believe something that's not true. We aim to tell the truth, and we can do that because of you. The fact that you fund the site keeps us independent and able to deliver what you need and want from Wikipedia. Exactly as it should be.

You should know: your donation isn't just covering your own costs. The average donor is paying for his or her own use of Wikipedia, plus the costs of hundreds of other people. Your donation keeps Wikipedia available for an ambitious kid in Bangalore who's teaching herself computer programming. A middle-aged homemaker in Vienna who's just been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. A novelist researching 1850s Britain. A 10-year-old in San Salvador who's just discovered Carl Sagan.

On behalf of those people, and the half-billion other readers of Wikipedia and its sister sites and projects, I thank you for joining us in our effort to make the sum of all human knowledge available for everyone. Your donation makes the world a better place. Thank you.

Most people don't know Wikipedia's run by a non-profit. Please consider sharing this e-mail with a few of your friends to encourage them to donate too. And if you're interested, you should try adding some new information to Wikipedia. If you see a typo or other small mistake, please fix it, and if you find something missing, please add it. There are resources that can help you get started. Don't worry about making a mistake: that's normal when people first start editing and if it happens, other Wikipedians will be happy to fix it for you.

I appreciate your trust in us, and I promise you we'll use your money well.

Thanks,
    Sue

Sue Gardner
    Executive Director,
    Wikimedia Foundation
    https://donate.wikimedia.org

For your records: Your donation on 2012-12-11 was USD 50.00.

You can follow us on Twitter, identi.ca or Google+, like us on Facebook and read our blog. Here is the Wikimedia Foundation annual report for 2010-11, the Wikimedia Foundation annual plan for 2012-13 and the Wikimedia Foundation's five-year strategic plan. You can also now buy Wikipedia merchandise at shop.wikimedia.org.

This letter may serve as a record of your donation. No goods or services were provided, in whole or in part, for this contribution. The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a non-profit charitable corporation with 501(c)(3) tax exempt status in the United States. Our address is 149 New Montgomery, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA, 94105. U.S. tax-exempt number: 20-0049703

Hi Ken, I would like a digital model. Thanks for this opportunity.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-12-11 12:01
    Thank You For Your Online Donation

You are Helping us Better Serve Those in Need

Dear John,

Thank you for your gift which will enable The Salvation Army to carry out its mission to serve suffering humanity. Your credit card has been charged for the amount listed below.

Name: John Abshier
    <edited out address> Ken G.

This donation may appear  as &#8220;BB *NONPROFIT &#8221; on your online bank credit card statement for up to 1-business day while the transaction is being settled.  Once the transaction is settled, your online and printed credit card statement descriptor will be updated to reflect a &#8220;BB* Salvation Army&#8221; detail description.

If you need to get in contact with us regarding your donation, please use the details below to do so:

The Salvation Army
    3637 Broadway, Kansas City MO 64111
    Phone: (816) 756-1455  |  Email: ed_fredenberg@usc.salvationarmy.org

I would like an analog.

John Abshier
    edited 2012-12-11 12:26
    @John and Cody: got your requests covered. Shipping today UPS Ground.

Ken
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-12-11 13:24
    Being very modular looking they feel like they could slot into an application so I propose a name of SLOTin controller.
    edited 2012-12-12 13:28
    Two analog, and six digital yet to be claimed.
  • rogersydrogersyd Posts: 223
    edited 2012-12-12 14:03
    Whoo hoo! Ill take an analog one please. Awesome promotion. GO PARALLAX!
    529 x 682 - 73K
    uso.jpg 73.2K
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2012-12-12 14:04
    Hello Ken;

Would one of each be possible ?

I support a doctor who takes a team of about 100 medical staff, all at their own time and cost from western Canada to a remote village in Ecuador where they do free hip/knee replacements as well as dental and eye work for people there who have noting and very little hope. They have been doing this for over 10 years now, and we are fortunate to be able to support that cause.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)

Dear Dr. Greidanus;

Following your letter requesting contributions in funding your annual charity medical mission to Ecuador, I am pleased to advise the we will donate $x,xxx.xx to the cause.

A cheque for that amount will be forwarded to the EMAS foundation today.

Thank you for letting us help the less fortunate in the world.

Cheers,

Peter Van der Zee

Willowglen Systems Inc.
    edited 2012-12-12 14:38
    @rogersyd: got the PM and will dispatch your analog joystick today to the far NE reaches of the USA.
    @pjv: yes, of course. Charity of your choice is always appropriate! I trust you've made the contribution and I'll send you one of each today.

All: we're down to digital-only models. Shall we build 20 more of each?

And we'd love to improve the product based on all of your feedback.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-12-12 15:01
    Hey Ken,

What are the chances we could twist your arm into a Quickstart sized version of this product as well?

Jeff
    edited 2012-12-12 15:04
    Hey Ken,

What are the chances we could twist your arm into a Quickstart sized version of this product as well?

Jeff

Jeff, the design requires some hardware (A/D or R/C circuit) for the joystick. And probably a resistor or two for the pushbuttons and LEDs. If it were a direct QuickStart plug-in then it'd need some support electronics. What exactly do you propose? We could make it into a little PCB (or you could, too) without the metal plate. Maybe you should make it in this way. The cost of the joysticks are presently too high at $28 and we need to drop that to about $18 or so. I could give you a BOM.
    edited 2012-12-12 15:22
    I'm game!

If you guys could tool the metal plate, I'm willing to do the PCB. I'm picturing something small that would plug into the top of the quickstart without hampering a board sitting between. (Like the Human Interface Board)

Jeff
    edited 2012-12-12 15:40
    I'm game!

If you guys could tool the metal plate, I'm willing to do the PCB. I'm picturing something small that would plug into the top of the quickstart without hampering a board sitting between. (Like the Human Interface Board)

Jeff

Of course we can do this. Could be a PropellerPowered XCLUSIVE!
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-12-12 16:02
    Name, ProtoStick Analog, ProtoStick Digital.

Price, no idea what it costs to make but the lower the better ;)

Also, I like the open design a lot, but it would make me wish there were a plastic back-plate for under the board. If the back-plate was deep enough to allow the 'sticky bumps' to remain on the board, and or wires under protoboards, that would be great. Maybe you can put some touch resistive buttons back there too.
    edited 2012-12-12 16:33
    Not quite the same feel, but I'll bet we could get the price down with something like this..

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/joystick/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/581/Default.aspx

Jeff
  • varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2012-12-12 16:53
    Its not a product I need at the moment, but I just wanted to say that I love the parallax staff/customer interaction in this thread/in these forums. It makes me really happy I started developing on the propeller.
    edited 2012-12-12 18:02
    varnon wrote: »
    Its not a product I need at the moment, but I just wanted to say that I love the parallax staff/customer interaction in this thread/in these forums. It makes me really happy I started developing on the propeller.

Well, thanks varnon. This business is about so much more than the technology itself. We're also thankful for the community [every single day] and feel very fortunate to have the opportunities we do at Parallax. Really takes the "work" out of what most people have named work, making us look forward to each week as much as a weekend.

There are a bunch of people on these forums who will go way out of their way to help Parallax, too. The unofficial P2 documentation project, GCC, and all of the many OBEX contributions are examples.
    edited 2012-12-12 18:05
    Not quite the same feel, but I'll bet we could get the price down with something like this..

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/joystick/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/581/Default.aspx

Jeff

Indeed, then you need only a friendly little PCB. We source those in China and I have a whole bunch of them at Parallax.

Tell you what - I'll make you a DEAL. Let's make a DEAL, shall we Jeff? I'll send you the 100+ units I have with their caps for free. You'll make a little QuickStart add-on that supports the joystick, an XBee socket, and maybe a button/dial onto your specially-designed PCB. The joystick is identical than the one we sell in the link you provided, except it has a pushbutton on the downward pressure.

This way, we both win. You get a new product with the key part that's hard [as heck] to find in China, and I get these things out of my office! Propeller customers get another PropellerPowered add-on board made by a fine company with lower overhead than Parallax. Everybody wins!

And yes, we can get more of them - no problem.

Do we have a deal?

P.S. Like I told you the other day - I'm sitting on more surprises, spare parts, and neat stuff than I'll have time for in this lifetime! It'd be great to see productivity spring from the ashes of my office for once!
    edited 2012-12-12 19:13
    Xbee huh?

You know I just happen to have an Quickstart Xbee add-on design already generated here that should easily be modified to fit that joystick. I'll be you guys even have the Diptrace library for that part somewhere around Parallax. YOU'VE GOT A DEAL... This board shall be ready for public review by the end of the weekend.

Jeff
    edited 2012-12-12 22:02
    YOU'VE GOT A DEAL... This board shall be ready for public review by the end of the weekend.

Jeff

I'll ask Jim to overnight you the joysticks so you can work productively over the weekend. I'm sure the PCB will be easier to design with parts in hand.

Ken
    edited 2012-12-12 22:39
    @Ken, Would you mind adding one #27800 for prototyping purposes?

@All, How flexible would you guys like to have this? Easy to re-configure with places to jumper wires like PropBOE or hard configured I/O? (Attached is a quick drop-in layout.. Will add a couple tact switch positions, leds, caps, and resistors.)

Edit: I'm also thinking Serial Bluetooth connection in the center of the Xbee just for those would would prefer to go that direction.

Jeff
    821 x 541 - 104K
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2012-12-14 17:01
    Hello Ken;

The two joystick kits just arrived, and they look great.

I want to thank you so much for offering these to the forum members, and letting me benefit from your generosity....... shipping to Canada included!

Well done !

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-12-14 20:38
    @Ken, Would you mind adding one #27800 for prototyping purposes?

Edit: I'm also thinking Serial Bluetooth connection in the center of the Xbee just for those would would prefer to go that direction.

Jeff

I think BT would be great.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-12-14 20:46
    john_s wrote: »
    Ken,

Perhaps just a link to consider in respect to design aspects for buttons, layout and such...

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/12/arduino-esplora/

That IS quite a unique design!!! Ken Put something like this together for the BOE boards (Both verions) and all your other boards. I would definately buy a bunch and I am pretty sure most others would also!!!!
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-12-15 07:44
    How about a large round weighted knob mounted on a panel on the side controlling an encoder plugged into the breadboard?