Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

p2load: A Loader for the Propeller II

Comments

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-03-28 11:11
    Hi David, how far off are we getting a p2load data to address x, and don't reset/run :D can you tell I'm eager haha
    Loving not only having some P2 kit, but especially loving having some time to play with it too!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-03-28 11:30
    Baggers wrote: »
    Hi David, how far off are we getting a p2load data to address x, and don't reset/run :D can you tell I'm eager haha
    Loving not only having some P2 kit, but especially loving having some time to play with it too!
    I'll work on it again late tonight. Unfortunately, I have a previous commitment for early this evening.
    edited 2013-03-28 12:05
    No worries :D
    edited 2013-03-28 12:08
    No worries :D
    Do you by any chance have some code that comes in multiple pieces that I can use for testing? Nothing produced by PropGCC requires this scatter-load feature.
    edited 2013-03-28 12:13
    Ok, I'll knock something up for you ready, and email it to you, so you have it ready for your late tonight :D

pm me your email addy.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-03-28 15:07
    I will start a new thread to discuss reserved hub usage. I am not confident we will get agreement as the naysayers have always derailed the P1 discussions in the past.

BTW I am happy to agree to Bill's latest use:
    $E80-$E8F: system
    $E90-$FFF: 23 mailboxes
    But I would like to use the 1st mailbox (or the system) to hold flags to indicate the mailbox is claimed/used/allocated.

P2load:
    David: From all the above discussion, it seems that you are going to implement a loader for multiple files. Am I correct in understanding / or can you implement?...
    1. Resets the P2
    2. Load the second stage bootloader (postedit)
    3. Loads each file with the following options:
      • the skip option -s [$xxxxx] (default = 0) - skips n bytes at the beginning of the binary file
      • the load option -h [$xxxxx] (default = $01000) - loads to hub address
    4. Starts by performing COGINIT for COG0 using:
      • the go option -g [$xxxxx] (default = $01000) -coginit cog0 at hub address
      • would be nice to have an alternative option "-g monitor" to call the rom monitor instead
    You will note I have added an optional address, as not only do I think this is useful, it is required for what I need to do in testing. I also think it will be useful beyond this where we want to include other code blocks. Sort of like a linker without needing to link (or we code with other modules with constants).

I am not fussed with -g, -h, -s or whatever you decide to use.

I am only interested in loading binary files (pnut .obj files). I am not interested in using the slower Rom monitor loading. That can be done separately, especially if you can add the option to call the rom monitor. We can always get around this easily by adding an extra file that only has the monitor calling code, and starting it. Then a separate program can load using the monitor. Andy may have already done this with prop2terminal (see sticky)
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-03-28 15:15
    we could use the 3rd long in the system box, with a simple bit flag to indicate "in use"

ie $E88 would be the mailbox-in-use word

bit 0 always set (to inidicate system box is always in use)

bit 1 - bit 23 would be '1' when mailbox 1 .. 23 is in use

Bits 24-32 would be reserved for now, but later could be used for something else.
    edited 2013-03-28 15:15
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I will start a new thread to discuss reserved hub usage. I am not confident we will get agreement as the naysayers have always derailed the P1 discussions in the past.

BTW I am happy to agree to Bill's latest use:
    $E80-$E8F: system
    $E90-$FFF: 23 mailboxes
    But I would like to use the 1st mailbox (or the system) to hold flags to indicate the mailbox is claimed/used/allocated.

P2load:
    David: From all the above discussion, it seems that you are going to implement a loader for multiple files. Am I correct in understanding / or can you implement?...
    1. Resets the P2
    2. Loads each file with the following options:
      • the skip option -s [$xxxxx] (default = 0) - skips n bytes at the beginning of the binary file
      • the load option -h [$xxxxx] (default = $01000) - loads to hub address
    3. Starts by performing COGINIT for COG0 using:
      • the go option -g [$xxxxx] (default = $01000) -coginit cog0 at hub address
      • would be nice to have an alternative option "-g monitor" to call the rom monitor instead
    You will note I have added an optional address, as not only do I think this is useful, it is required for what I need to do in testing. I also think it will be useful beyond this where we want to include other code blocks. Sort of like a linker without needing to link (or we code with other modules with constants).

I am not fussed with -g, -h, -s or whatever you decide to use.

I am only interested in loading binary files (pnut .obj files). I am not interested in using the slower Rom monitor loading. That can be done separately, especially if you can add the option to call the rom monitor. We can always get around this easily by adding an extra file that only has the monitor calling code, and starting it. Then a separate program can load using the monitor. Andy may have already done this with propload.

This is basically correct except that there is a step 2a that downloads and starts the second-stage loader. The P2 ROM bootloader is not able to load more than 2K bytes so I have to use a second-stage loader to load everything else. This is hidden from the user so maybe it doesn't need to be included in the sequence.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-03-28 15:25
    Hi David.

It is not necessary to user to see it --- But after complete load it need stop running and give control to Monitor else COG specified in start flag.

David Betz wrote: »
    This is basically correct except that there is a step 2a that downloads and starts the second-stage loader. The P2 ROM bootloader is not able to load more than 2K bytes so I have to use a second-stage loader to load everything else. This is hidden from the user so maybe it doesn't need to be included in the sequence.
    edited 2013-03-28 15:32
    Thanks heaps David. Yes I keep forgetting about the 2 stage loader. I will edit my post to include it for future reference.
    edited 2013-03-28 15:41
    we could use the 3rd long in the system box, with a simple bit flag to indicate "in use"

ie $E88 would be the mailbox-in-use word

bit 0 always set (to inidicate system box is always in use)

bit 1 - bit 23 would be '1' when mailbox 1 .. 23 is in use

Bits 24-32 would be reserved for now, but later could be used for something else.

CLKMODE uses 9 bits (8..0) leaving precisely 23 bits.
    So, default for bare metal is all these 23 bits =0 which indicates all used. The bare metal can start their programs as $E82 if they wish.
    When we reserve the 23 mailboxes we set these 23 bits =1 which indicates all available for use, and when claimed/used those respective bits are cleared.

I will start that thread now
    edited 2013-03-28 15:50
    Sounds good. I like sharing CLKMODE - you saved us all a long!

$E88 start for "bare metal" (second stage loader; rom loader i think loads boot loader at $E80 - which is why I initially wanted CLKFREQ and CLKMODE just before $1000)
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    CLKMODE uses 9 bits (8..0) leaving precisely 23 bits.
    So, default for bare metal is all these 23 bits =0 which indicates all used. The bare metal can start their programs as $E82 if they wish.
    When we reserve the 23 mailboxes we set these 23 bits =1 which indicates all available for use, and when claimed/used those respective bits are cleared.

I will start that thread now
    edited 2013-03-28 17:18
    Hi David,

Here's an example file...
    load the testcard.bin to $8000
    then load the program, I've attached the source, and object and bin file.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
    Jim.

MyProp2Code.zip
    edited 2013-03-28 17:37
    Hi David,

Here's an example file...
    load the testcard.bin to $8000
    then load the program, I've attached the source, and object and bin file.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
    Jim.

MyProp2Code.zip
    Thanks! I'm back on the job and will try to get this loader working this evening.
    edited 2013-03-28 21:01
    Thanks! I'm back on the job and will try to get this loader working this evening.
    I'm not going to be able to get this done tonight I'm afraid. I wrote all of the code but it doesn't work. :-)
    I'm not sure if this is a bug in my second-stage loader or a bug in gas that is assembling it wrong. Ugh. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.
    edited 2013-03-29 01:24
    No worries ;D
    Just out of interest, could you not use PNut to make the second stage loader, as that would assemble it correctly?
    edited 2013-03-29 04:17
    No worries ;D
    Just out of interest, could you not use PNut to make the second stage loader, as that would assemble it correctly?
    I could but then I would only be able to build p2load on Windows. I did this when I first started writing p2load but switched to gas so that I could build on all platforms. I guess I should check with Roy to see how soon we can expect the PASM part of his his Spin compiler to be ported to P2.
    edited 2013-03-29 04:50
    I could but then I would only be able to build p2load on Windows. I did this when I first started writing p2load but switched to gas so that I could build on all platforms. I guess I should check with Roy to see how soon we can expect the PASM part of his his Spin compiler to be ported to P2.

Did you know you can wine PNut, it builds files, but I couldn't get it to download, which would be ok, as you don't want that part.
    edited 2013-03-29 05:15
    Did you know you can wine PNut, it builds files, but I couldn't get it to download, which would be ok, as you don't want that part.
    GAS needs to work anyway and I'm not even sure that is the problem at this point. This isn't very complicated code but execution seems to reach a point multiple times that it shouldn't reach more than once and never reach a point that it should reach once. I may have direct vs. indirect jmps wrong. The code is attached if you want to see if you can see where I'm going wrong. The download completes but the program doesn't run correctly. Please don't laugh too hard at my PASM code though! :-)

loader.s

Edit: The place it reaches multiple times is the code at cmd_start. The place it never reaches is the code at do_cmd1.
    s
    s
    edited 2013-03-29 05:17
    Ok, cool, I'll have a look, later though, taking the girls out, while the sun is out, it's cold, but not snowing at least haha :D

Will look later, and let you know if I find anything.
    edited 2013-03-29 05:22
    Ok, cool, I'll have a look, later though, taking the girls out, while the sun is out, it's cold, but not snowing at least haha :D

Thanks! I'll be doing my day job in a little while so I won't get back to this until this evening.
    edited 2013-03-29 05:29
    Maybe I'm doing something really dumb and just not seeing it. This sort of thing should work shouldn't it?
                            mov     rcv_state, #do_soh      'initialize the packet receive state

then later:
    receive                 call    #rx
                            jmp     rcv_state

do_soh                  cmp     x, #SOH wz
                  if_z      mov     rcv_state, #do_len_hi
                            jmp     #receive              'byte done, receive next byte

rcv_state               res     1

edited 2013-03-29 06:12
    GAS needs to work anyway and I'm not even sure that is the problem at this point. This isn't very complicated code but execution seems to reach a point multiple times that it shouldn't reach more than once and never reach a point that it should reach once. I may have direct vs. indirect jmps wrong. The code is attached if you want to see if you can see where I'm going wrong. The download completes but the program doesn't run correctly. Please don't laugh too hard at my PASM code though! :-)

loader.s

Edit: The place it reaches multiple times is the code at cmd_start. The place it never reaches is the code at do_cmd1.
    By the way, the reason I think it is getting to cmd_start more than once is that I modified the code like this to turn on a different LED each time it passes through that code.
    cmd_start               mov     payload_state, #do_cmd0
                            mov     cmd0, #0
                            mov     cmd_cnt, #4
                            setp    led
                            add     led, #1

Eight LEDs come on before the COG resets and tries to start the loaded program. The p2load program only sends one command packet. Every other packet should contain data.
    edited 2013-03-29 06:16
    By the way, the reason I think it is getting to cmd_start more than once is that I modified the code like this to turn on a different LED each time it passes through that code.
    cmd_start               mov     payload_state, #do_cmd0
                            mov     cmd0, #0
                            mov     cmd_cnt, #4
                            setp    led
                            add     led, #1

Eight LEDs come on before the COG resets and tries to start the loaded program. The p2load program only sends one command packet. Every other packet should contain data.
    Ugh!!! Never mind. I'm an idiot. I figured out what's happening. The fact that only 8 LEDs came on is what gave me the clue. I'm updating the wrong state variable. I should have this fixed shortly. Sorry!!!!
    edited 2013-03-29 06:21
    I have no problems downloading from PNut under wine, running on Ubuntu 12.04

but I did have to set up a COM1 mapping to /dev/ttyUSB0 for wine
    edited 2013-03-29 06:22
    The revised second-stage loader is now working. I'll add the multi-file support tonight. Sorry for the delay! Dumb programming error on my part.

Edit: For any of you who are following this second-stage loader saga, here is the corrected source:

loader.s

The idea is that p2load first sends an 8 byte packet that contains the load address and byte count. It then sends as many data packets as needed to transfer that many bytes of data and then loops back looking for another 8 byte addr/count packet. This should allow the loader to scatter-load data at various addresses in hub memory before starting the program.
    s
    s
    edited 2013-03-29 06:33
    Hi Baggers.

Now I know who one send snow to me!

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2013-03-29 06:55
    Great news, looking forward to using this....
    The revised second-stage loader is now working. I'll add the multi-file support tonight. Sorry for the delay! Dumb programming error on my part.
    edited 2013-03-29 10:39
    Great news David :) and well spotted, I've just got back, so time to play some more prop2 :)

@Sapieha, haha yeah, sorry bud! :)
    edited 2013-03-29 10:48
    Hi Baggers.

No problem.
    Only problem that Spring are already next one month to late in my end of country

@Sapieha, haha yeah, sorry bud! :)